We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Struggling to find accommodation in NYC/Manhattan

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Struggling to find accommodation in NYC/Manhattan

Hi there,

Have been trawling the boards, writing to places, trying the best we can, but it seems very hard to find any accommodation in NYC for less than all of our budget.

We are a couple, looking for a double room in Manhattan, March 31-April 8, and were hoping to spend less than USD 1,000 in total )USD 500 each) on the room or apartment.

Can anyone help? Many thanks!

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Struggling to find accommodation in NYC/Manhattan

you maybe could consider Long Island City in Queens. Very very convenient to mid town Manhattan. But often a heck of a lot cheaper! With a budget of a $1000 (i pressume that includes tax?), that could be an option.

Here's a couple hotels:

countryinns.com/long-island-city-hotel-ny-11…

ascendcollection.com/hotel-long_island_city-…

there are others though

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,354 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Struggling to find accommodation in NYC/Manhattan

Seven nights? That would be about $850 before taxes, so about $121 a night. Really low for Manhattan, it is a scarily expensive city. I am going at the same time, so I know how hard it is to find decent under $250, let alone half that.

You might consider looking at priceline or hotwire and using betterbidding.com for help in working out the hotels you might win. BUt even hotwires lowest rates for those nights are up towards $150.

You also might consider Long Island City, one stop by subway from Manhattan. Hotels like the Verve and Country Inn and Suites get good reviews here and might come in under your budget.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Struggling to find accommodation in NYC/Manhattan

even the Country Inn & Suites comes in WELL above a $1000 for those dates.

Other LIC hotels might be worth a look, you never know!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,354 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Struggling to find accommodation in NYC/Manhattan

It is a pricey time, there are not many bargains, even on Travelzoo.

Oh and do not look at apartment rentals, they are basically all illegal for less than 30 day rentals in NYC. THere are suite hotels, but they will be out of your budget.

There are some real budget hotels, but I think even those will be out of your range. The Pod is one,shared bathrooms, but well reviewed.

What airport are you flying into? Sometimes that can help with finding an off island location with the least commute time and costs.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Struggling to find accommodation in NYC/Manhattan

Thanks for the quick replies. We just didn't anticipate the prices!

Great tips, maybe Queens or Brooklyn is our answer? Does anyone know anything about that?

We fly into Newark, and out of JFK.

Many thanks in advance and for speedy replies!

All the best

Edited: 09 March 2012, 13:13
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Struggling to find accommodation in NYC/Manhattan

Long Island City is in Queens

I think you may have to increase your budget

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Struggling to find accommodation in NYC/Manhattan

As you are flying in and out of different airports on different sides of the city, makes no huge difference if you do stay in LIC, Queens, you will have a longer journey to get there, BUT it'll be very convenient on the way back to JFK.

LMV is right I reckon, you may need to up the budget a bit.

What could be a good thing to do though, is reserve a room now, just make sure it's a fully cancelable one. Then keep on looking over the next couple weeks, see what offers may pop up.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Struggling to find accommodation in NYC/Manhattan

You either need to change your budget or your destination-- NYC is not for everyone and being here on a budget can be a real drag.... there are lots of other places you can go even if your flights are all bought and paid for. Almost any other location would be cheaper. As my dad used to say "it is tough to have champagne tastes on a beer budget"-- I truly would reconsider your choice of vacation locations-- NYC ain't all that .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,954 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Struggling to find accommodation in NYC/Manhattan

Sounds like they already bought the plane tickets before researching lodging. Maybe, if they need just one bed, they can try Priceline for a room. Or, maybe look across the river in New Jersey (Hoboken or Jersey City and even then it may be a challenge for that budget).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Struggling to find accommodation in NYC/Manhattan

Flights all booked.

Bank account groaning.

We're definitely going. Cripes, we will have to see. If by any chance anyone does have the miracle cure, please let us know. It's a dream to go there....for us.....we are going to make the most of it, with what we have, money wise.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks!