We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is safe to stay?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Topic
Where is safe to stay?

Manhatten hotel pricings are way out of my budget so i'm thinking of staying somewhere else. Where would be good? Brooklyn or Long Island? Are these 2 places safe and easy/cheap to get into NYC?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is safe to stay?

Brooklyn and Long Island City (which is in Queens) are both part of New York City. Queens and Brooklyn are WAY bigger than Manhattan.

Long Island City is discussed constantly.

If you give your EXACT dates (ex. April 4 - 7), # of beds needed, and nightly budget, I am sure someone will be able to give you suggestions.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is safe to stay?

In the right margin of this forum is a list of TOP QUESITONS ABOUT NEW YORK CITY. In that list is this question:

Is There Cheaper Lodging Outside Manhattan?

Click on it for info and suggestions.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is safe to stay?

Something you should be aware of regarding geography:

Most of the area and the population of the city of New York is on Long Island, and most people who live on Long Island live in New York City, in the boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens. However, what is usually called "Long Island" and what is usually meant by the term are the portions of Long Island that are *not* in the City of New York And to clarify one more thing, Long Island and Long Island CITY are *not* used to refer to the same places; Long Island usually means Nassau and Suffolk Counties, while Long Island City is a neighborhood in Queens -- which, like Brooklyn, is on the island called Long Island, but is a part of New York City.

Does that help clear things up?

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is safe to stay?

I stayed in LIC a couple of times (the Country Inn & Suites) and was totally happy with the location...not smart or cosy, but as long as you're close to a subway station, Manhattan is within an easy ride...

For me. Brooklyn feels like a longer journey, to Midtown anyway.

Having said that, Upper West also boasts some more affordable hotels, and that's definitely a nice nabe...

Edited: 09 March 2012, 22:59
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is safe to stay?

I actually contemplated staying in New Jersey but the costs to get into NYC and back to New Jersey seems pretty high. So even though I'm getting cheaper hotel rates in NJ, after adding the transportation costs to get into NYC for 3 days, I should actually pay a little more to stay within NYC?

Just to note that I'll be flying out of Newark.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is safe to stay?

While staying Jersey City would be closer to Newark airport, you can still get to Long Island City without a huge hassle.

Get the Airtrain from your terminal to NJ Transit, take that to NY Penn Station. Either take the subway to Times Square 42nd St or just walk up. I like to walk the short distance and gawk..:), then take the 7 to Long Island City.

Have you looked at the Country Inn and Suites? It is highly recommended on this forum

I have also stayed in Jersey City at The Courtyard ,next door to PATH and at The Hyatt(across the street from PATH). It was 3.50 pp, RT. to get to NYC. May have gone up

Edited: 18 March 2012, 11:45
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is safe to stay?

My vote would still go to hotels in LIC...as Dee points out, the journey from Newark is doable and the proximity to easy transport on the subway would definitely be worth a little more to me!

Edited: 18 March 2012, 12:23
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is safe to stay?

I checked out the COuntry Inn & Suites and it's abt $160/night (excluding tax) for the days I'll be there (weekends so I assumed rate goes up). I contemplated staying at Newark for $75/night (excluding tax). 1/2 the price.

I'll be taking a bus/amtrak into NYC so if I stay at Newark, I'll need to make a trip into Newark to put my bags, take the public transport back to NYC to tour around, then back to Newark for the night (that's 3 trips). 2nd day, I'll be going into NYC to tour then back to Newark (2 trips). 3rd day, I'll be going in to NYC to walk around then back to Newark airport (2 trips). That's like a tonne of trips huh??

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,969 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is safe to stay?

Why are you so stuck on Newark? You realize that there are other places in New Jersey besides Newark, right? No one is recommending that you stay in Newark. If you stay in Jersey City or Hoboken, you'll only have a short, $2 train ride between your hotel and NYC. That's what I'd do if I were you.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is safe to stay?

If you are thinking about a room in Newark for $75 a night you should consider bringing a baseball bat and your own lock for the door. Sometimes if things are too cheap there is a valid reason.

BB's recommendations are ok but I would still recommend LIC over that