We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Newark to midtown Manhattan

Wishaw, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Taxi from Newark to midtown Manhattan

do the ttaxis take 4 people with 1 case each

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Newark to midtown Manhattan

I would strongly urge you to prearrange a sedan with either All State (the company I prefer) or Dial 7 (the one some of the other Destination Experts recommend).

All State and Dial 7 can provide slightly larger vehicles which you'll find much more comfortable.

Prearranging a sedan is also much more economical than a taxi.

You can not get a NYC taxi in New Jersey. Newark is in New Jersey. You can not get a Newark taxi in New York City. It is rather inefficient but basically the Newark cabs are forced (by law) to return to New Jersey empty. NYC cabs, when they take people to Newark are forced (by law) to return empty. As a result, you are paying a premium for taking a taxi across state lines.

Dial 7 and All State are allowed to pick-up and drop-off in New York and New Jersey so they aren't forced into this inefficiency.

Dial 7 and All State are not only generally more economical, they're far better, safer, more comfortable, better insured, better vehicles, better drivers, better service. Yes, I find there is a big difference.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Newark to midtown Manhattan

Alternatively you can take a train into the city.

England
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Newark to midtown Manhattan

Yes you can, it is so simple, just walk outside and join the queue (fast moving),

the taxi marshall will give/quote you a price, so, so , easy.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Newark to midtown Manhattan

Another vote for Dial 7 car service..............

www.dial7.com

Ireland
Level Contributor
450 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Newark to midtown Manhattan

We found Dial 7 very efficient. Cost from Newark into Midtown was $65 inclusive of toll and tip.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Newark to midtown Manhattan

Id take the train - i do it every time i fly in to Newark and it only takes about 20 minutes total to get in to Penn station (34th st)

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from Newark to midtown Manhattan

I generally take AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit (that is "the train") - the total cost is $12.50 per person and it is often faster as there is always traffic on the roads heading toward the tunnels into Manhattan.

There is also the Olympia Newark Airport Express bus for $16.00

I recommend against the regular yellow cabs at Newark Airport as they are New Jersey cabs and not regulated by the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission.

Brasil
Level Contributor
104 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from Newark to midtown Manhattan

Can I interrupt and also ask you a question? I'm also coming from EWR to NYC, in April... 3 options I found based on your comments:

1- BUS - Olympia Trails

$16 per person

Stop at Bryant Park

Time: ??? (Saturday morning)

2- TRAIN - Amtrak

$25 per person

Stop at NYC Penn Station

Time: 30 minutes

3- TRAIN - NJ Transit

$12.5 per person

Stop at NYC Penn Station

Time: 35 minutes

I'm not really sure which one to take.

Could you help me?? How long does the bus take?

Which one is more comfortable when carrying a mid size bag?

What is the difference between the Amtrak and NJ transit?

If I take the bus it would get me a little bit closer to my hotel (0.4 miles instead of 0.6 since Penn Sation)... Do you think I can walk from any of the stops to the hotel?

Thank you for advising!!

Have a great weekend!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from Newark to midtown Manhattan

The difference between Amtrak and NJTransit is that Amtrak is twice a expensive and a lot less frequent. No reason to take it. Both the bus and the train are comfortable with a bag. Where's your hotel?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from Newark to midtown Manhattan

Eliminiate Amtrak from the equation. Amtrak does indeed publish a fare however the stop on Amtrak is really for people trying to get from Newark Airport to more distant places.

Newark has far more international service than Philadelphia and Baltimore so a lot of people use that Amtrak service to connect from say Wilmington Delaware (for instance) to Newark Airport.

You should choose between NJ Transit (for $12.50) and the bus for $16.00.

The train is usually faster and less subject to traffic delays.

The bus has the advantage of leaving from the terminal without any changes at the Rail Transfer Station and it crosses 42nd Street (closer to some hotels).