We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amtrak train to DC

San Jose, Costa Rica
7 posts
Save Topic
amtrak train to DC

hello i would like to travel from NY penn station to union staion in washington DC via amtrak do i need to reserve the tickets before i travel or could i just get there and buy the tickets?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,150 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amtrak train to DC

It's best to reserve your seat for two reasons --- 1) If you book in advance, it is cheaper than buying a last minute ticket; 2) Sometimes trains get fully booked so you might not be able to get on the train you wanted.

San Jose, Costa Rica
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: amtrak train to DC

Thank you very much!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amtrak train to DC

What you should do is buy your tickets online ASAP but indicate that you'll pick them up at the station. You can do this just before you get on the train from Quik-Trak kiosks. Bring your reservation print out with you.

For most Amtrak fares, if your plans change and you haven't yet printed out your tickets, you can get a full refund. Even the "non-refundable" tickets will give you a full credit toward other Amtrak tickets, good for a year.

I assume you know that there are both Acela and Northeast Regional trains. The Acela trains are somewhat faster but a lot pricier. The Northeast Regional trains are fine.

Although you book your tickets on amtrak.com, if you'd like to see a full listing of fares (which can vary train by train depending on demand) try using the Amsnag website:

biketrain.netfirms.com/amsnag/amSnag.php

San Jose, Costa Rica
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: amtrak train to DC

ok thank you but how can i just reserve the tickets in amtrak.com because when i get in the only option is to buy the tickets?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,201 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: amtrak train to DC

No one said to just reserve the tickets. BUY the tickets online, but indicate that you'll pick them up at the station.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: amtrak train to DC

You just buy them

San Jose, Costa Rica
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: amtrak train to DC

broklynbrdge sorry if i bother you i was just asking!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: amtrak train to DC

And she was just answering. Does a direct and accurate friendly answer "bother" you so much that you think it justifies your rude reply?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: amtrak train to DC

If you have your dates set, book in advance. My parents and I travelled on the Amtrak for a NYC-DC day trip and as we booked last minute (I think my parents bought them the day before), it was $200+ per person!! Lucky they were paying is all I can say ;)

Book and pay for the tickets online and then collect/pick them up from the station. You can't just reserve them without payment.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,201 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: amtrak train to DC

Why do you think you bothered me?