We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESTA print out

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
ESTA print out

Will I need a print out of my ESTA application when arriving at JFK?

I wasn't able to print it out when I submitted the application so just have a screen shot - will that be ok?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,389 reviews
from US$36.00*
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ESTA print out

The E in ESTA, stands for ELECTRONIC.

I think that's your hint.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ESTA print out

We have never been asked for a printout, should just be linked to your passport when the agent scans it.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
212 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ESTA print out

Copied from ESTA online help

Do travelers need to bring a paper printout of their travel authorization to the airport?

No. DHS will be able to communicate a traveler’s ESTA status to the carriers. However, DHS recommends that travelers print out the travel authorization application response in order to maintain a record of their traveler authorization application number and to have confirmation of their ESTA status.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ESTA print out

We had a connecting flight in Amsterdam and security asked to see the printout. We didn't need to show it at JFK.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ESTA print out

I've never been asked to show an ESTA printout in Amsterdam....you don't need to have one...

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ESTA print out

We've never needed it, just like the website says, although I always like to bring a printed copy "just in case" - I'm sure you'll be 100% fine without anyway.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ESTA print out

Airlines asking for ESTA could make sense, security in Amsterdam makes no sense at( all.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,394 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ESTA print out

The travel forum thread has reports of some airlines asking to see it. They do not have access to the computers that US immigration has. THEY are responsible if they fly an unauthorized person to the US. So, to protect themselves it is frequently easier to ask prior to boarding. Bring the printout of the screen shot if that is what you have.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ESTA print out

You can easily go back into your ESTA though the official site and print it off using the print button on the page, not the print function of the browser.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ESTA print out

Hola.

This is from our friends at the U.S. CBP:

“If you received approval and did not print out or write down your application number, which is needed in order to update your application or check your status, you may retrieve the application number through the ESTA web site (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/) by clicking "Retrieve Application Number" and enter the applicants name, date of birth, passport number and passport issuing country…..

…..You are not required to present a printout of your application number to board your flight. That number is transmitted electronically to the airlines. However, it is important to print a copy of your approved application as it contains your ESTA number that may be needed for reference purposes."

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

And for more information see:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1083/~/esta--update,-obtain-status,-or-print-authorization

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Edited: 11 March 2012, 21:32