We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empire State Building Fears

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Empire State Building Fears

I have some fear of heights/balance issues if I can see below me....I avoid glass elevators, see through floors, etc. but I am fine with rooftops and secure balconys that have waist high enclosures I can't see through, etc. I've been up the Space Needle in Seattle, for instance, and have no problem on the enclosed porch like viewing deck but the Eiffel Tower in France with it's see through stairs looking down was too much for me. How is the Empire State viewing platform really?

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Empire State Building Fears

it is not like the eiffel tower,

u will be in an enclosed area.

everything is going to be ok

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Empire State Building Fears

I agree w/ lina

England
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Empire State Building Fears

I can totally emphasise, you describes my feelings/fears....top of ESB is all O.K.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Empire State Building Fears

Hey rainbirdreader - the ESB has a solid landing that goes all the way around, similar to the Space Needle. It also has a steel grate fence that is about 10 feet high so there really aren't any completely unobstructed views. You can put your camera through the fence for pictures, but that's about it. You can also remain indoors and look out through the glass-enclosed observatory (again, similar to the Space Needle).

I don't know if you are planning to visit Top of the Rock as well, but that's a little bit different. It has a waist-high wall and glass panels at the top and *does* offer unobstructed views. I don't recall if you can get close enough to the sides to see all the way down, but it it should be easy enough to avoid that if it makes you nervous. It also has a second smaller observation deck with a wall and no panels, but you can only see as far down as the lower observation deck, which is about 20 feet below you.

There are not any "see-through" or grated floors that I can recall, so I think you should be OK at either location.

-JimG

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Empire State Building Fears

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input. Don't want to have a melt down in front of my son....he's embarrassed enough by me as it is :) Sounds like we are going UP!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Empire State Building Fears

I see

Edited: 12 March 2012, 02:51
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Empire State Building Fears

You might actually like Top of the Rock better, because the levels without solid barriers are well back from the edge of the building -- just don't look UP (not down) in the elevator.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Empire State Building Fears

Yes, Top of the Rock has an elevator with a glass ceiling, but you will be fine if you don't look up.

On the other hand, my friend and I loved it, we're skyscraper enthusiasts, so we enjoyed checking out the workings of the elevator:)

9. Re: Empire State Building Fears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:15