We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far in advance??

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
How far in advance??

Hi everyone, we fly out to NYC on 10th April and was planning on taking a chance and emailing the hotel to ask for a 'room with a view'. How far in advance is it best to do it? might sound like a daft question, but too late and I could miss the boat and too early and it could be overlooked. If anyone has had any luck in the past, advice would be appreciated. Thank you :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How far in advance??

I've emailed my hotel ready for my trip in November 2 ask for a room with view of the ESB, they said they would make a note on my booking...

Hope this helps

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far in advance??

Most hotels do not book people into rooms until the actual afternoon of their arrival, because they don't know until that time what specific rooms are available. The pool of unoccupied rooms depends on checkouts, cancellations, stayovers, etc - all of which occur in "real time". So it usually does not matter how far in advance you make these types of requests. All the hotel will do is "make a note of it" and try to accommodate you if they can. The only way to (sort of) guarantee a particular class of room is to specifically reserve it, provided the hotel allows this.

Over in the Las Vegas forums they talk about the "$20 trick", where you request an upgraded room upon check-in, while slipping the desk clerk a $20 bill. I have to chuckle every time someone suggests this. It's almost impossbile to make this work in an era of electronic reservations and on-line booking. Also, upselling rooms is big business in the hotel industry, and any employee caught doing this would likely be fired. I can't imagine someone risking their job for $20, but I guess the myth persists.

The best way I have found to get an upgraded room is to be pro-active. Book a fully cancelable rate on-line (preferably through the hotel's own website) and then watch the hotel website for spot sales. My wife and I stayed at the Millenium Hilton last December and initially booked a regular room at a good rate. Within a couple of weeks they had a sale going, and I was able to book a much nicer replacement room (corner suite) for about the same price as the room that we originally booked. I reserved the second room, canceled the first, and we had a very nice stay in a room with a view of the ESB to the north, and Brooklyn Bridge to the east.

-JimG

3. Re: How far in advance??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:41