We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklyn in August- weather wise, is it bearable??

edinburgh
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Brooklyn in August- weather wise, is it bearable??

I've been offered a 2 week trip to Brooklyn in August & would love to go as New York is my favourite city in the world, but worried the weather would be unbearably hot!

I'm getting conflicting opinions from people, some say it's no problem others say 'no way', so unsure of what to do. I have a heart problem so wouldn't be using the subway anyway, which I hear is boiling hot then, others say everything else is air conditioned so it's OK.

Any advice/opinions welcome & gratefully received!

Many thanks,

JJ.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brooklyn in August- weather wise, is it bearable??

Some augusts are really not some augusts are really not.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brooklyn in August- weather wise, is it bearable??

it can be very hot yes but the subway cars are air conditioned as are hotels, shops, bars, etc

People cope with heat to varying degrees - I find it a little difficult but not too bad

Stamford...
Level Contributor
832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brooklyn in August- weather wise, is it bearable??

Sometimes there are heatwaves in August where there are several days with temps in the upper nineties or over, and it 's very humid. When that happens, I find the adjustment when I leave the air-conditioning and hit the heat/humidity to be uncomfortable. I've never found a day so hot that it wasn't pleasant to sit in a park in the shade and drink cold lemonade. I think you're going to get conflicting opinions, we're all different. You're probably going to have to rely on your your own judgement here since you would know best about your heart condition, how you react to warm temperatures, and what you want to be doing when you come.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Brooklyn in August- weather wise, is it bearable??

You make it sound like B'klyn is HADES. What do you think, everyone leaves on July 31 and returns Sept 1?

Sure August days are hot and others not - what will you be doing - and how wold heat exacerbate your heart condition. I too have had a heart incident and never once did my cardiologist mention that heat was a problem.

If you feel so strongly about heat being a problem, do not visit.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brooklyn in August- weather wise, is it bearable??

I don't know what you mean by you've been "offered" a 2 week trip, but there's no way anyone can predict what the weather will be. You can have a look on any weather website, most of which have some sort of travel planner that will show you what the historic temperatures were for any 2 week period of time. Here's a link to the one on wunderground although they show temps in fahrenheit (maybe there's a way to change to Celsius)

www.wunderground.com/travelplanner/index.asp

I can tell you that for the last 3+ years, the last 2 weeks in August have been much much nicer than the first 2 weeks, if you have a choice. It's IMPERATIVE that you have a place with air conditioning to stay and Brooklyn is a huge place (bigger than Manhattan) Not all areas of Brooklyn are accessible to a good subway station. If this is a home swap or something like that, make sure the place is near enough to a subway. (And can you do stairs? Subway riding requires that)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
591 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brooklyn in August- weather wise, is it bearable??

I was in NYC at the end of July and it wasn't that bad... But then again, I love hot weather. I walked as much as usual and it didn't stop me (or my 55 years-old mother).

But I live in Montreal and am used to the humidity, I guess.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brooklyn in August- weather wise, is it bearable??

If you're from Edinburgh, Scotland, then yes, NYC August will be much warmer than what you're used to. Temperatures will likely range between 20 and 40 celsius, although high 20s/low 30s are the usual for daytime.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brooklyn in August- weather wise, is it bearable??

If your hotel has a/c you're all set. If not, you may be uncomfortable trying to sleep. But what hotel doesn't have a/c these days?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Brooklyn in August- weather wise, is it bearable??

Those $100 a night bargains people think exist in Manhattan!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brooklyn in August- weather wise, is it bearable??

If you have a weak heart and do not want to take the subways how is your heart going to hold up when presented with those taxi bills from Brooklyn ?