We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A budget hotel near a Subway and close to famous landmarks?

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
A budget hotel near a Subway and close to famous landmarks?

Hi. I would be in NYC in first week of May for 5 nights for a solo trip. After searching through the forum, I am still undecided about which hotel to book. I would prefer a hotel near a subway for easy and quick access to landmarks like ESB, TOTR, Broadway and Times Square. My budget is around $200 per night but can stretch it to $250 if required. I can get decent hotels in Long Island City in far lesser cost than this budget but is that a good option? But I would prefer to stay near Midtown if I can get a good hotel in my budget. Please suggest.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A budget hotel near a Subway and close to famous landmarks?

There could be thousands of hotels in NYC within your budget. In order to get suggestions, the experts will need your exact dates and number of travellers. Also, be aware that no hotel will be close to everything you want to see, unless you only want to be in mid-town

But why not pick a couple that interest you and then come back and ask? The folks here volunteer their time and what you're asking for, a paid travel agent would do for you.

If you click on the link that says something like "maps/Transportattion", it will tell you how far the hotel is from the subway

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A budget hotel near a Subway and close to famous landmarks?

Cosmopolitan Hotel. It's in Tribeca, normally reasonably priced, and also there are many subway links nearby, that will easily take you to ESB, TOTR. It's only a few blocks away from Broadway.

Did you know Broadway runs through the full length of the borough of Manhattan and continues northward through the Bronx borough before terminating in Westchester County, New York? Maybe being near broadway isn't exactly what you want.... ;)

M

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A budget hotel near a Subway and close to famous landmarks?

Post back with your exact dates and maximum budget in USD to get some tecommendations.

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A budget hotel near a Subway and close to famous landmarks?

Thanks for the inputs. I'll be arriving late evening on 30th April and leaving on late evening of 5th May. The budget as stated earlier is about 200 USD but I can stretch it to 250 USD for a good deal. I have been searching on various websites but most of the Manhattan hotels which have good reviews here at TA are above 300 USD. Though I am getting a good deal (130 USD/night) on Country Inn & Suites, Long Island City which is just a subway stop away from Manhattan. But I am not sure about the area or whether this is a good idea at all.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A budget hotel near a Subway and close to famous landmarks?

The Country Inn and Suites is highly recommended on this forum. It is a good value and one subway stop from Manhattan. Have you looked at the reviews??

new york
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A budget hotel near a Subway and close to famous landmarks?

I think you need to decide what is more important to you - save some money to stay in a non descript (but close to Manhattan) area or spend more to stay in Manhattan.

I usually prefer to stay in Manhattan, however, next month I will be staying in Long Island city for the second time. I just couldn't justify paying $200+ for Manhattan when i can pay $140 to stay in LIC. The LIC hotels recommended here are conveniently located for a quick trip into Manhattan.

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A budget hotel near a Subway and close to famous landmarks?

Since I am traveling alone and would be out of hotel, I won't like spending too much on the hotel and rather spend the saved sum for other activities. So that way Country Inn seems to be a good option. But I am not sure of the area it is in and whether arriving late night alone would be safe (few reviewers do mention that the area seems a bit unsafe but mo actual incidents). Also if I stay in Manhattan, I can quickly go back to the hotel to make a call home using Skype or other services (the time difference would only allow me to call in mid morning or afternoon). I am getting Paramount hotel around 200 USD per night and Millennium Broadway for 250 USD per night. Candlewood Suites, which has good ratings here on TA, is also available a little more than 250 USD. And, to repeat, Country Inn is available at only 130 USD. If I wasn't a bit unsure about the area going by some reviews, I would have promptly booked Country Inn.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A budget hotel near a Subway and close to famous landmarks?

What do you think about the Affinia Manhattan?

There is a great deal for $187 a night OR LESS for what I believe is the Affinia Manhattan hotel for your dates on lastminutetravel.com. http://www.lastminutetravel.com/hp.aspx

How I found it:

I plugged in your travel dates PLUS one room, one adult.

On the left hand side of the page I added in further information to narrow things down:

Then scroll down to star rating, Check off 3.5* and 4*

Back to the top of the page: Sort Results By: Check off "Prices Low to High."

The very first hotel listed is 4* Midtown Manhattan, two amenity icons: fitness center, meeting rooms. Price $187 for a petite room.

Clicked the photos tab and it looks like the Affinia Manhattan.

Compare photos to Affinia Manhattan's website:

www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx…

Save even more money. LMT has a special phone number to call: "Special Offer Awaits. Call 888-273-4266." If you call, they will not only tell you the name of the hotel before you purchase, they will give you a further discount for calling. Can't hurt to check it out. You might also ask about some of the other hotels that popped up and see what rates you can get.

new york
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A budget hotel near a Subway and close to famous landmarks?

I walked from the subway station to my hotel after midnight by myself - the area was quiet but it is a really short walk. I will do the same next month and I'm not concerned at all about it.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A budget hotel near a Subway and close to famous landmarks?

No one is saying it's not "better" to stay in Manhattan for all the reasons you state..

I agree with George, you need to decide what is most important..Budget or convenience