We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you recommend?

San Francisco...
7 posts
Save Topic
What do you recommend?

I am travelling to New York city and I just wonder what is the best way to get my way to manhattan. Do you recommend me to take a yellow taxi or I should book a car service through a local company? Thank you for any suggestions.

DC
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you recommend?

Where are you coming from?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you recommend?

Which airport are you flying into?

San Francisco...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you recommend?

I am from San Francisco and I am expecting to do a transfer from JFK airport to Manhattan.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you recommend?

I would take a Yellow cab - door to door service - 60$ inclusive, toll/tip.

No hassles - the way to go.

Poppa

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you recommend?

Poppa's advise is probably spot on,we paid $150 for a limo 2 weeks ago,it only took us 40 minutes from the airport to the hotel,next time it will be a yellow cab for us

England
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you recommend?

taxi, so easy so simple.

San Francisco...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you recommend?

I do appreciate your suggestions and I'm looking forwards rou my New York city trip.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you recommend?

On the forum website (not the app), there's a column on the right of TOP QUESTIONS ABOUT NEW YORK CITY. The first question is:

How do I get from the airport (JFK, LGA, or EWR) to Manhattan?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s301/New-York-…

The upshot is :if you have a lot of luggage, taxi is usually your best bet.

If you don't have a lot of luggage, take the AirTrain to the A or E subway lines. Costs under $10.00

Or, you can spend a bit more and take the AirTrain to the LIRR to Penn Station.

http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

If you are super cheap or on an extremely tight budget, or need to kill about 3 hours until your arrival in Manhattan, take the B15 bus to the #3 train at New Lots Avenue, or the Q10 bus to the E and F train at Union Turnpike.

If you decide to use public transit, it depends where your lodging is. The railroad, buses and subways take you to different parts of Manhattan, so figure out which is closest.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you recommend?

One question is how much luggage you have with you. If all you have is a carry on - you can easily take the Airtrain to Jamaica Station and then transfer either to the subway or to the LIRR. The LIRR would take you directly to Penn Station.

But, if you have large cases, just take a yellow cab.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,260 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you recommend?

Without knowioing where you're going, or what time of day, or what day of week, or how many of you there are, or how much luggage you have, it's hard to answer this question accurately. You might, for example, prefer a train to a car, or you might not be able to get a cab if you're coming in during the shift chnage, in which case you'd want to book a car service. Can you give us some more information?