We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighbourhoods to stay - fairly trendy couple in their 20s

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Neighbourhoods to stay - fairly trendy couple in their 20s

I know these types of questions don't go down hugely well (certainly not on the London forum where I post occasionally) but I'd really like some suggestions of potential areas to stay.

My fiance and I (mid-late 20s) are visiting NYC from the 3rd June to 10th June. We have a budget of ideally $200 per room per night, possibly stretch to $250. This is our first time in NYC.

We live in Inner London and consider ourselves fairly urbane. We are very at ease with large busy cities and mass transit but both feel walking is the best way to see cities.

While in NYC we hope to do the following:

- A LOT of wandering/exploring different areas

- drinks in roof-top bars (i.e. Top of the Rock) with views

- a bit of shopping (nothing too high end for me, partner wants to go to Tiffany)

- lots of sitting and people watching in square/parks (Central Park and the High Line are musts)

- visiting tourist sites (Times Sq, Brooklyn Bridge, Ellis Island)

- a museum or two, less fussed by this as we have a lot of (free) museums and art galleries in London

- maybe a show

- I want to see lots of architecture (I'm an urban planner so have a lot of interest in gentrification etc.)

- eating at cheap, street vendor type places. Will avoid fine dining as again have plenty in London for what appears a lot cheaper

I would be really grateful for some suggestions for neighbourhoods/districts we should stay in based on the above. Specific hotel suggestions would be appreciated! We would rather stay in quirky, boutique style hotels rather than large corporate places.

Finally, are hotel rates cheaper during the week or weekend? I'd consider in staying in different hotels if it saved money.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighbourhoods to stay - fairly trendy couple in their 20s

I would worry more about finding an affordable hotel, rather than a trendy area. It is very easy to get around NYC by subway so no matter where you stay, you can be anywhere within, literaly, minutes.And then do some walking around..:)

Soho..Upper West Side..Greenwich Village and Lower east Side..Williamsburg in Brooklyn or Park Slope. If you are priced out, look at Long Island City. I find hotels pricier during the week, although June is a pretty expensive time to come, regardless.

Why not do some looking on your own and then come back and ask?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighbourhoods to stay - fairly trendy couple in their 20s

Sounds like you may want to stay in Williamsburg. This is a nabe in Brooklyn that is famous for its nightlife. Lots of restaurants, tons of pubs, and great cultural stuff as well. Plus, it is only one stop away from Manhattan via the L train. Hotel La Jolie has been around for years, but there are some new hotels in the area as well.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,261 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighbourhoods to stay - fairly trendy couple in their 20s

for some reason, the Gramercy Park hotel came to mind first when I read your post... Not sure the budget will work though. I would look at the Kimpton Hotels and pick one that looks good to you.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 20 March 2012, 14:21
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neighbourhoods to stay - fairly trendy couple in their 20s

June is a pricey month and $200-250/night will be difficult to find. Taxes add ~ 15% to prices on US websites so even $250 total means a nightly rate of ~$212 plus tax, not a lot for June.

I agree with Dee, find decent places within your budget and then make a decision based on where they're located. Long Island City is a subway ride away from Manhattan and has a lot of good newish hotels that will cost a fraction of Manhattan prices. The Verite, Verve, Comfort Inn & Country Inn & Suites are some of the best options there. The area is a bit gritty but is starting to gentrify and is a subway ride away from Astoria where there are lots of good restaurant options.

Brooklyn is another possibility. The Pointe Plaza and Le Jolie might work for you. Look on a website like kayak.com that scans a number of different hotel search engines.

If you really want to stay in Manhattan, I see an unbelievably great price on kayak for the Helmsley Park Lane hotel across from Central Park. Kayak apparently made some great deal for this hotel b/c it's come up for several people on different dates as affordable. Rooms there are somewhat dated but large and being across from the park would be very nice BUT it's the antithesis of the urban areas that sound like your taste. The Comfort Inn Lower East Side sounds more like you and if you prepay, it's within your budget.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neighbourhoods to stay - fairly trendy couple in their 20s

You DO know that The Top of The Rock is not a bar, yes?

Edited: 20 March 2012, 15:12
London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Neighbourhoods to stay - fairly trendy couple in their 20s

Thanks for the advice. Appears we may have to stretch our budget a bit... Would rather stay in Manhattan, I'd like to be able to walk to restaurants/bars.

Dee: brain got confused... but yes I do know it's not a bar! I will be asking some more questions in the future about bars with views...

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neighbourhoods to stay - fairly trendy couple in their 20s

Four Point Soho is showing a good price (w/ free cancelation) on www.booking.com here are the recent reviews-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1157456…

I would also consider Eurostars Wall there are a lot more restaurants popping up downtown but Soho is more central to night life options -

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1164645…

I would grab a cancelable rate, probably at the Soho location- then look for deals- if the hotels fill up rate will also go up & the deals will be more scarce.

Here is some itenerary and navigating help-

Day -

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Must_dos…

Night-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22937-NYC_nigh…

Food-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23076-Cheap_Ea…

&

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23075-Best_NYC…

Navigating-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23171-Helpful_…

&

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23219-Manhatta…

Happy Planning & Most importantly Have Fun!

Here is a night life calander to look at closer to your date

Edited: 20 March 2012, 17:23
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Neighbourhoods to stay - fairly trendy couple in their 20s

London..You can search the forum for "Bars with a view", as it is a question that is frequently asked. Just charge the relevance to "date" to get the most recent posts

I WISH there was a bar up there..lol

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neighbourhoods to stay - fairly trendy couple in their 20s

If you live in London Central you will know that the budget you list will not get you the digs you desire. So spend the evening with a bottle of wine and the future mrs and let us know a final number and come back to let us know which is the higher priority money or room.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Neighbourhoods to stay - fairly trendy couple in their 20s

If you stay in Williamsburg, you can walk to countless bars.

Other hotels in Brooklyn within walking distance of bars:

Park Slope

http://www.expressbrooklyn.com/

Carroll Gardens

http://www.nuhotelbrooklyn.com/