We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bars near Central Park South

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bars near Central Park South

Hi

I'm getting married in Cop Cot in Central Park (near the south entrance) at 3pm in August and was wondering if anyone could recommend a nearby bar that my guests can go to after the ceremony for around 2 hours before our dinner reservations? Ideally it needs to be walking distance as they're there for just a short time or alternatively, our dinner reservations are on the World Yacht on Pier 81 (41st Street & the Hudson River) so we could send them there if there are any decent bars nearby? The main point is just to keep the travelling time down to one journey. There'll be about 13 people and 3 infants.

I'm not too familiar with NY so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bars near Central Park South

I've never heard of "Cop Cot" in Central Park. Since there are multiple south entrances, do you know which avenue it's closest to? Are you looking for an inepensive bar or something posh and nice? Don't you worry that 2 hrs. of drinking before boarding a boat might make some ill? I think a better plan is to arrange some sort of activity for your guests, whether a short bus trip, a visit to Top of the Rock, a group to do

accomplicenewyork.com

etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bars near Central Park South

I've just done a search and it's near the 6th ave. entrance. The Ritz Carlton Central Park South and the Helmsley Park Lane hotel are both near there and both have bars. Mickey Mantle's is a more casual restaurant with a big bar. The Plaza hotel at 5th ave. is also not far and the Oak Bar there is iconic.

For something more casual, Rue 57 at the corner of 57th st. & 6th ave. is very close and during the summer has outdoor tables.

http://g.co/maps/ng4au

I still think something other than drinking is a better idea for them, but that's up to you.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bars near Central Park South

OK here's a strange suggestion from me. I can't imagine drinking for 2 hours before getting on World Yacht to drink some more. And the 3 infants won't be welcome in a post CP South bar anyway so...

Here's my thought -- Depending on the public transportation situation on that day (streets might be closed for street fairs -- subway work etc), you will still have several ways to get from CP South to 42nd between 7th and 8th via public bus or subway. Then duck out of the August heat for a bit by visiting Mme Tussaud's and having wedding pictures taken with the stars. Then board a 42nd St crosstown or a free bus to the ferry and get to your cruise.

I'm not a fan of Mme Tussaud's for its own sake to in your case it would make for great wedding pics and an air conditioned break enroute to the next event and transportation would be 2.25 per person!

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bars near Central Park South

Hi

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I'll go through them and look them up.

I'm sort of looking for something at a level in between the Champagne Bar at the Plaza and an average pub. I don't want to spend them to a complete dive but I don't really know what the policy is for having children in bars in NY and I suspect that having 3 children under the age of 3 in the group probably wouldn't go down too well at somewhere really posh.

Drinking shouldn't be an issue, all of the guests are Brits so drinking and being in bars is second nature! I've been assured that the boat ride is extremely smooth too but I'll look up your suggestions.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bars near Central Park South

Three children under the age of three won't go down well in any bar in the city. Since I assume you are getting married in daylight, what you seem to be asking about is a plan that calls for two hours of midday drinking with three toddlers in tow. While this may be "second nature" for your guests, social customs regarding drinking and children are VERY different in the US, and so in New York City this would be considered highly inappropriate behavior, verging on the shameful and the disgusting. The way you may expect it to go down -- assuming you are allowed into a bar to do it at all -- is to find people staring at you and wondering what in the world is wrong with these awful people who would bring not one, not two, but three babies into a bar for hours of drinking.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bars near Central Park South

"verging on the shameful and disgusting" wow I better cancel the strippers then!

I'm not quite sure what evil shenanigans you think a group of people with ages of up to 60 with kids in tow are going to get up to in the middle of the afternoon! Calm down a bit, I'm just looking for a bar that my guests can relax in for a few hours while I go and have photos taken! They'll be sitting around, having some nibbles and chatting and maybe having the odd glass of champagne to celebrate - I'm not talking about a full on heavy drinking session! Nobody will be doing shots off each other's bodies and corrupting the innocent, don't worry!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,170 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bars near Central Park South

GWB is just tryng to explain the cultural differences between how we view bars in this country versus how they are viewed elsewhere. Just be aware, small children are generally not welcome at the bar in any bar anywhere in the US. At a table where food is being served in an establishment that also serves alcohol, yes, but not AT the bar. It doesn't matter whether you're doing body shots or not: it's generally not considered appropriate to have minors at the bar.

You'll want to call whatever place you're thinking of sending your guests and make sure that they'll be okay with three infants in the establishment, rather than run the risk of your guests being turned away.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bars near Central Park South

Noted and understood. No need to be offensive and rude though especially ironic coming from someone apparently explaining cultural differences!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,170 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bars near Central Park South

I think you're misreading GWB's post. He's explaining how such things are viewed here. He's not saying YOU'RE shameful and disgusting. But, really, children are not welcomed in drinking establishments in this country. It's considered highly inappropriate.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bars near Central Park South

Honestly, you never mentioned the kids in this thread. i don't know that any bar will allow them and what will the kids do for 2 hrs while the adults are drinking and nibbling?