We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-Day Subway pass, should I or shouldn't I?

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
7-Day Subway pass, should I or shouldn't I?

Hello everyone!

I will be in NYC 4/8/12-4/11/12 and I'm not 100% sold on buying the 7day pass for $30. I'm not actually going to be there for 7days and I'm not sure on how much we will be using the Subway/Cabs to get around Manhattan, it's two of us so we'd have to get two passes which would be $60 and we may only be using the subway to get to and from all locations, sometimes we'll probably be cabbing back to our hotel if it's late, what do you guys think? I'm thinking it isn't going to be worth it for me.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7-Day Subway pass, should I or shouldn't I?

so you are there 4 days?

why dont you just get the pay per ride card? The two of you can share it then.

And you can top it up as you go along.

www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#payper

Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7-Day Subway pass, should I or shouldn't I?

For a stay of three days or more, we always get the unlimited. That is $10 a day to ride any subway or bus as many times as we want. We never use cabs as they are expensive and occassionally hard to find, depending on the weather and location. The unlimited card means no checking your balance or counting trips--it is totally worth it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7-Day Subway pass, should I or shouldn't I?

The break even point on the weekly card verses the pay per ride , is 13 trips,

thats only 3 trips per day . Now if you happen to catch the wrong bus or get on the wrong subway line this will cost you on the pay per ride , on a weekly you can turn around and go , no extra cost .

You will also find you will use the subway more than you think it really is very convenient and safe to use , even late at night , we found it standing room only full at 1 am on a Sunday morning ,

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,965 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7-Day Subway pass, should I or shouldn't I?

First, it;s $29 per card, not $30.

Since you haven't given us any relevant information, such as how often you expect to ride the subway, what you plan to do, where you're staying, how much walking you'd expect to do, etc., it's going to be very hard to answer your question. I can tell you that in general, MOST tourists find four days to be the breakeven point, but if you prefer to get a cab every time you have to go a few blocks, or you're both major walkers and will always walk if it's less than two miles to your next destination, that math changes.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,965 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7-Day Subway pass, should I or shouldn't I?

Oh, and remember, if you take a cab you're expected to tip the driver 15-20%. Add that into your math.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7-Day Subway pass, should I or shouldn't I?

I agree with SuzyTraveler - more than three days, buy a 7 day pass. You will probably use the subway more than you realize, and the pass just makes things so much more convenient. And there's no reason to take a cab just because it is "late". New York City is a 24/7 operation - we have ridden the subway and walked to our hotel at all hours of the day and night (no reason not to since it is so easy).

-JimG

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7-Day Subway pass, should I or shouldn't I?

Here's the comparision chart: http://www.mta.info/metrocard/compare.htm

My advice if that doesn't help: it doesn't matter which you get so don't worry about it At worst you'll spend a few dollars more. Keep in mind that transfers from bus to subway are free even on a pay per ride and that a single pay per ride car can handle up to 4 transfers (ie, if you paid for 4 people to get on subwya, when you get on the bus it will tell you that 4 people are transferring).

I agree with suzy about cabs, my prediction is that you'll only use them once or twice for the novelty of it, being an out-of-towner and all (though cabs can be pretty reasonable for short, cross town trips where the subway/bus really doesn't work)

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 7-Day Subway pass, should I or shouldn't I?

well, this was my thinking, we will be there 4 days (technically) but we will be flying in at 3pm on one of those days and leaving NYC at 12pm another day on the train, so really, would it be worth it for only 2 days of actual sightseeing? we'd each have to get one so that'd be $60, that'll probably be our total for transportation with sybway/cabs included.

and 4 transfers is included with one pay-per ride ticket? oh, that's even better, I guess it really isn't worth it for us.

Edited: 20 March 2012, 22:00
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 7-Day Subway pass, should I or shouldn't I?

oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that we're staying at The New Yorker and will only be traveling within Manhattan (Times square, Central Park, Greenwich Village, etc..)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,965 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7-Day Subway pass, should I or shouldn't I?

"and 4 transfers is included with one pay-per ride ticket? oh, that's even better, I guess it really isn't worth it for us."

No, you've isunderstood. Up to four people can ride using a pay-per-ride card, paying four times, and the card will accomodate up to four transfers, one for each person. You don't save any money that way.

Have you read the webistes that explain these things? And again, it's $29 per person for an unlimited. How do you plan to get to and from the airports? Will you be using a card? What do you plan to see during your two days of sightseeing?