We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or Car Service from LGA during Rush Hour

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,182 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi or Car Service from LGA during Rush Hour

I've had one opinion on this, but would like more. Our plane gets in LGA around 8 AM, Monday. .....leaves Thursday at 6:45 PM. So...the times we would be going to and from are around the rush hours. Should I get a car service...or just stick with a taxi? (I know the meter will be running on the taxi from LGA....thats why I am asking) Hotel is in Time Square.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or Car Service from LGA during Rush Hour

[deleted]

Edited: 20 March 2012, 22:39
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or Car Service from LGA during Rush Hour

Are you adamantly opposed to using public transport?

I just hate sitting in traffic.

My experience is that you never ever save money with a car service versus a taxi (except with Newark Airport)

I find that at that hour the buses are so frequent and actually move quite quickly. You'll be on the subway in no time and you'll avoid the traffic heading right to Times Square.

I'm a big fan of saving the money - especially when there isn't a huge difference in time or convenience.

Otherwise I'd probably just do taxi.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,073 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or Car Service from LGA during Rush Hour

I would use a car service. I find comfort in knowing what it is going to cost---in advance, rather than watching a ticking meter.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,182 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or Car Service from LGA during Rush Hour

One vote car service....one vote taxi. Anyone else?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or Car Service from LGA during Rush Hour

I say taxi. I have also found that I never actually save money in a car service.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,972 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or Car Service from LGA during Rush Hour

If you book online, dial7.com has a $29 rate FROM LGA to Manhattan. Here are some coupons (not sure if you can combine coupon and discounted price)

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/dial7.com

You'll get a nicer car and probably a better driver than a taxi. It may not be faster and it may not be cheaper but it won't cost much if any more.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi or Car Service from LGA during Rush Hour

Unless you've got tons of baggage, I'm going to vote for public transportation. Pick up the M60 bus at the airport after buying your Metrocard either in the machine by the bus stop or at Hudson News, then get off just a few stops later at the Dittmars/Astoria N/Q train station. It won't be crowded headed into midtown since it's only the second stop from the beginning of the line, and in just a few stops/minutes you'll be at the Times Square/42nd Street station. Total cost one fare each.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,182 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi or Car Service from LGA during Rush Hour

Thanks NYWhiz...I will look into that! I am not taking public trans to or from the airport! Its either taxi or service. (we will do subways once we get settled of course..but not right off the plane!...not budging on that!) I was just concerned with the rush hour thing...we did car service last year. It was fine. (but there were 5 of us..and it was NOT rush hour)

So....thanks again whiz...I'll check that link.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi or Car Service from LGA during Rush Hour

Hey beachlady3:-) I agree with rdglady..nothing worse than a ticking meter in traffic..go with the car service..and EnjoY!

Edited: 21 March 2012, 16:07
10. Re: Taxi or Car Service from LGA during Rush Hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 12:42