We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop on Hop off buses - tickets and where to hop on?

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Hop on Hop off buses - tickets and where to hop on?

Hi, please could someone let me know where you buy tickets for the hop on hop off buses. Do you purchase them on the bus, or do the hotels sell them or is there a general ticket office?

Also is there a particular location where all the buses begin their routes? We are considering taking the Downtown loop but I am not sure if we have to head to a particular Downtown Hop on stop to start the tour

many thanks in advance.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
7,516 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop on Hop off buses - tickets and where to hop on?

There are several companies that provide the "hop on, hop off" buses. Here's a link to a search on TA that I hope will help:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=bus+tours+nyc&geo=60763&returnTo=__2F__Travel__2D__g60763__2D__s302__2F__New__2D__York__2D__City%253ANew__2D__York%253AGetting__2E__Around__2E__html

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop on Hop off buses - tickets and where to hop on?

You can ask at your hotel and they probably can direct you to the closest spot. Most here feel that the Hop on Hop off aspect of this is really wasted in NYC as compared to other places it is done. We would probably recommend you hop on and hop off the subway system instead.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,803 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop on Hop off buses - tickets and where to hop on?

I think what blimin wrote is incorrect. Most here feel that HOHO buses are NOT modes of transportation and that is what the subway system is for. HOWEVER, most would say that do complete 1 loop of a bus, just to get an overview is a valid experience, especially as the weather gets warm and you can actually sit outside and enjoy.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop on Hop off buses - tickets and where to hop on?

I loved the Hop on Hop off bus on my first visit (blue buses) . I think it gives you a great overview of the city. I've actually done it 3 times, twice more when I've been visiting with people on their 1st trip. I think it's worth it. I would opt not to hop off though. Ride it and write down all the places/areas you'd like to go back and visit. Then use the subway! :o)

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop on Hop off buses - tickets and where to hop on?

Heed all of the advice above. The real questions are - when are you visiting? What are you planning to do off of the bus? Do get yourself a MetroCard no matter what you do.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/…

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
823 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop on Hop off buses - tickets and where to hop on?

Hi there Ksoldati, are the buses you used Grayline? we are considering booking them for when we arrive on 1st April, the pass includes a cruise to SOL and entrance to ESB

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop on Hop off buses - tickets and where to hop on?

A cruise to the SOL which is closed on the inside and an entrance to the ESB to stand in line ? Not much value there and BTW I also don't think like others buses give you a good overview of the city for the value--- they go on certain streets and traffic is so congested in some places that you could see more by walking. I have done them in other cities around the world I just don't think they are a good deal here.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hop on Hop off buses - tickets and where to hop on?

No..........I used City Sights:

http://www.citysightsny.com/

:o)

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hop on Hop off buses - tickets and where to hop on?

Thank you for your useful replies.

I am visiting in May and just wanted a general overview initially. I planned to Hop off at Rockerfeller and Brooklyn bridge (still planning where else). As Im visiting with a toddler, I thought it would be easier and lots of fun to go on the hop on hop off buses, and sit on the upper deck rather than travelling the subway.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hop on Hop off buses - tickets and where to hop on?

You will spend a lot of time stuck in traffic, just so you know. Which is anything BUT fun, esp. with a toddler. If it's very warm, you may want to sit inside, too..traffic fumes and sunburn..yuck

Where are you staying? Because if you are staying in mid-town, you don't need to take a bus to Rock Center, it's an easy walk.

As stated above, I agree that the Ho/Ho buses are good for an overview and lousy for transportation. People ride the subways with their kids every day..:)