We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Housemaid tips?

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
470 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Housemaid tips?

I've read somewhere on this forum that the customary tip is $2-$5 per night. Is this per room or per person staying in the room (there's only 2 of us)? Also, is it customary to leave it each morning or just leave a lump sum at the end of the stay.

Thanks for any info.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Housemaid tips?

We leave our tips daily to ensure that the person on shift that day gets it

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Housemaid tips?

For myself alone I leave $2, but I'd say $3 would be sufficient (especially if you keep your room neat!).

Leave it daily....If you don't have the same room maid every day, then the one who cleans your room at end of your visit has all the benefits.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,969 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Housemaid tips?

Per room, and leave it daily because the staff switches.

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Housemaid tips?

we left around $3 a day,i just saved all my quarters from the day before and that was my housemaid tip

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Housemaid tips?

I hope my tip from my last trip made it to the right person....I just left a thank you note and a twenty the morning I left after a four night stay.

6. Re: Housemaid tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:15