We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area for cool bars?

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Best area for cool bars?

Two 30yr old guys coming over from the UK looking for the best area where a few cool bars are. Bit of beautiful people watching, celeb spotting etc and maybe some good food.

Never been out properly in NYC but have been to Vegas so I guess I'm looking at some hip bars like they have over there.

Any suggestions?

Midtown, Meatpacking District, Hell's Kitchen, Noho, Soho, Downtown all been touted but only going to be there for a couple of days so want the number one place!

Also, might get a hotel that's local to the suggested area. Any budget really. Just want to experience NYC to the max!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area for cool bars?

For what it sounds like you're asking about, I'd look in the Meatpacking District or on the Lower East Side.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area for cool bars?

Hola.

We like the Broome Street Bar at 363 West Broadway (and Broome Street). It is a SoHo institution with great beers. For additional information, see:

…ypguides.net/page/nqes/About_Broome_Street_…

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area for cool bars?

All of the areas you mentioned have lots of bars. Midtown is the least likely to be considered "cool", but it is very lively after work on weekdays particularly on the east side around 2nd and 3rd avenues. You could also throw Williamsburg in Brooklyn into the mix. If you are really seeking a "scene" similar to Vegas, then Meatpacking is probably your best bet.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area for cool bars?

Williamsburg in Brooklyn has some great bars - places like Radegast Hall and Lorely which are great biergartens, Spike Hill, Union Pool, Barcade and lots of others. The lower east side is also a great place to have a drink or two. I also like Fifth Ave in Park Slope, which has lots of great bars along with good food.

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area for cool bars?

Excellent! Thank you.

Think I'm going to aim for Meatpacking District.

In general, are these "cool" bars easy to just walk in or are they "guestlist" kind of places?

Now for a hotel in the area. Thinking of Gansevoort, Standard etc.

Any others I should consider?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area for cool bars?

whats your budget and dates? Does it have to be in the same area?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,508 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area for cool bars?

The hotels in/near the meatpacking district are:

the Gansevoort

the Standard

Soho House

Maritime

I know the Gansevoort will have rooms with 2 beds but not sure any of the others do.

tablethotels.com

is a website that specializes in booking boutique hotels and you sometimes will get freebies and upgrades if you book through them.

oyster.com

will have photos of these hotels.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area for cool bars?

Am I the only one that is questioning "cool bars" and "The Meatpacking District?" Just sayin.... ;o)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area for cool bars?

He is looking for "hip bars" like they have in Vegas, which is why I think Meatpacking keeps being suggested. Given that expectation, I think he would be disappointed by the Lower East side or Williamsburg for example.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area for cool bars?

I agree with genio67, but he could add Greenwich Village on the list too and just walk in and out of places. But I have to admit the Meatpacking District would be best for him.