We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going in Feb 2013...

wolverhampton
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Going in Feb 2013...

Looking to book for my sons surprise 18th, bit worried, want to make sure im not in a dodgy area?...some one suggested hotel Metro, Midtown? also, i didnt thin it would be so expensive for 3 nights! quotes are around £1300...is this reasonable?...if i book on expedia its cheaper but obviously no transfers....is it expensive for a taxi?.......help! any advice is gladly appreciated!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going in Feb 2013...

Well the folks here only recommend dodgy areas

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going in Feb 2013...

New York is expensive and on the whole safe.

you're talking about one year away...take some time following this forum before you book anything, and then quote in $$....you'll get plenty of useful advice.

Edited: 22 March 2012, 17:02
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going in Feb 2013...

Hotel Metro, btw is a fine hotel in a good location for first timers, but I would not book anything non-refundable at this point....

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going in Feb 2013...

You are booking too early for February and as a result may be getting the highest "rack rates' The best rates for Feb will be posted from November to January and they will be the lowest for the year if you play it right..

To some people ALL OF NYC is "dodgy" . My brother in law would not come here on a bet. It all depends on your (not ours) definition of "dodgy"

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,921 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going in Feb 2013...

1) It's much too early to be buying airfare and/or hotel for next Feb. IMO.

2) When you buy air/hotel package you generally have to pay for the whole thing upfront. Bad idea. Buy air and hotel separately.

3) Metro Hotel is "ok" but there are far better hotels/locations so it wouldn't be one I'd pick but might just be on the air/hotel pkg. you're looking at.

4) Do NOT book a transfer to/from the airport with a package. If you listen to nothing else I say, listen to that. The transfer will be with Super Shuttle and they are NOT SAFE, not good buses, not good drivers, take forever...and the worst possible transfer you could take.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going in Feb 2013...

"To some people ALL OF NYC is "dodgy" . My brother in law would not come here on a bet."

That's what he tells you, bilmin :)

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,105 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going in Feb 2013...

People are not accounting for the possibility of sky rocketing gas prices

Anyway, The rate is HIGH!!!

I am seeing flights from BMI on THEIR sight for $810usd rt BHX to EWR leaving Thurs and return on Mon. - For Friday to Mon returns in Feb 2013 it is $840usd.

Metro Apts are the LOWEST price hotels in NYC.

For the one of the Fanciest 5* hotels (New York Palace) I am seeing $231usd directly from their site per night @ $830usd tl w/ tx included.

This equals 1640usd tl which is only about 1,040 GBP saving you over 250 pounds to stay at one of the best 5* hotels instead of the worst 3* apt style hotel.

BMI is directly from their site (which is probably different than our .com so just look it up to see the price you get for BHX to EWR)

The New York Palace is also directly from their site-

http://www.newyorkpalace.com/index.php

For transfers from EWR to the Palace the airlink buses are slow but cheap and easy for a single person-

http://www.goairlinkshuttle.com/index.php

&

http://www.supershuttle.com/

Also some itenerary help-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Must_dos…

&

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23076-Cheap_Ea…

It's a nice present- I know he will enjoy it.

Edited: 22 March 2012, 17:55
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going in Feb 2013...

I agree with all of the other posters that you're way too early to book anything. That said, February can be a great time to visit as along with January it's probably the cheapest time of the year for hotels and flights. I have been to NYC the last two February's, it was pretty cold in 2011, but very mild this year. Start reading up on stuff here to get a general feel of things, and start asking questions but don't book so early.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,921 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going in Feb 2013...

Hotel Metro and Metro Apartments (which are probably illegal) are 2 totally different things MTI.

You never explained to us what 1300gbp represents. How many people? How many rooms? How many nights?

Start first looking at airfare. I use

kayak.com

Looking on the UK version (kayak.co.uk) they're showing airfare alone of over 500gbp/person so for 2 that's 1000gbp and 300gbp for a room for 2 is not bad at all if that price is for 2 of you. In previous years aifare could be had in Feb. for 300-350gbp. Don't book anything that you have to prepay now. If you want to book a cancelable hotel now, go ahead.

Liverpool (Home of...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going in Feb 2013...

I'm also looking to go in Feb 2013 as a surprise for my husband's 50th (which is in Nov this year). So I need everything in place for then, when all I'm handing him is a big apple!

We have to go in school hols as we'll be taking our 2 teenage kids. Looking at 5 nights from Sat 16th feb which is coming out at just under £3000.

I too don't know if it's best to book now or wait. Flights alone are currently £2200 from Manchester.

I went in 2009 so have a fair idea of we're I want to stay.

Any advice would be welcome.