We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering NYC from NJ

Cincinnati, Ohio
8 posts
Save Topic
Entering NYC from NJ

Hello all.

I will be driving to NYC from Indiana on this coming Thursday. I was hoping someone with experience in the matter could help me with what to expect traffic wise upon arriving near the city.

Specifically, I'm a little nervous about the Holland Tunnel. This is the route in which all mapping programs I have used and checked have routed me. FYI, we are heading to the Millenium Hilton in the Financial District.

Does anyone have any recommendations about what I should expect or anything that can make the transition on and through the tunnel easier?

Thanks!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering NYC from NJ

And what is your hotel charging per day for Parking?

Cincinnati, Ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering NYC from NJ

I believe they told me parking is $50 per 24 hours and the lot is under the hotel...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entering NYC from NJ

You can probably find cheaper parking near the hotel yourself by looking on

Bestparking.com

But...to answer your question, what time of day you arrive will have a major impact on the traffic you experience.

Cincinnati, Ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Entering NYC from NJ

We are hoping to arrive around 2 PM, so hoping to AVOID rush hour traffic though I'm sure its busy at all times.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,596 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entering NYC from NJ

You should be fine at 2 PM but tune your radio to either 880, WCBS or 1010 WINS for up to date traffic information. The Holland Tunnel is nearer to the financial district, but if there is a major traffic delay you could easily switch to the Lincoln.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entering NYC from NJ

2 pm shouldn't be too bad.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entering NYC from NJ

I actually hate both tunnels and if you are coming across RTE 80 I would just stay on that and cross over into Manhattan on the George Washington Bridge then right down onto the West Side Highway (Rte 9a). This will be busy too but I just find it a more pleasant ride and a straight shot. Once on the West side highway you just head south to your final destination which in your case would be around the World Trade center site.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 14:28
Cincinnati, Ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Entering NYC from NJ

It appears that we will be on I-78 heading to NYC all the way from Harrisburg, PA...it looks like that takes the GW Bridge out of our options, as it seems that it would be quite a detour to get there...

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Entering NYC from NJ

Some things to keep in mind as you get to the tunnel:

1) you need to pay a toll to use the short stretch of the New Jersey Turnpike to get from I-78 to the Holland Tunnel, and then pay again to use the tunnel and get out of New Jersey. If you don't have an EZPass, make sure you are in the Cash lane.

2) When you emerge from the tunnel, you will be on a curving roadway in what used to be Hudson Square/St. John's Park; there will be multiple exits from this quasi rotary, with signs for each one. You should go to Google Maps and click and drag the little orange man down onto the roadway emerging from the Holland Tunnel. You will be able to "drive" down the road and see all the different signs, so you will not be confused when you see them in person.

3) Use the exit for "downtown", which will put you on Varick Street. Varick merges with West Broadway at Leonard Street, and one block past that you should turn left on Worth Street. Go tow blocks on Worth to Broadway, and then turn right. Stay on Broadway past City Hall Park (on your left) and St Paul's chapel (on your right) and turn right either on Fulton Street or on Dey (pronounced as "dye", not as "day") Street. Your hotel is between Dey and Fulton at Church Street. Church Street runs north, so if you go right on Dey, you will turn right again on Church in front of the hotel, but if you go right on Fulton, you will need to drop everyone off at the corner and then go right past St. Paul's churchyard.

I would not use the hotel parking, but would find another, cheaper garage.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entering NYC from NJ

First off...god speed. Driving in Manhattan is a nightmare. Once you get away from the tunnel area, you should be fine. Just remember there will be a lot of traffic, no one will let you in to change lanes and pedestrians will walk out in front of you as though you aren't in a 1 ton hunk of metal. Plus the financial district isn't in a nice, neat grid like the rest of Manhattan, making driving that much more of a nightmare.

Okay, enough fear mongering. Coming in off 78, there is *nothing* confusing about getting to the tunnel. It goes right to it. Pay your toll and head on through. On the other side, the Interstate is finished. Though we have two fairly quick moving highways along either side, there are no interstates in Manhattan. You will immediately be in city traffic.

You want to get Broadway. Your exit will make you wrap around St. John's park. If you happen to miss it or end up on another street, don't panic. If you're on Laight or Beach St, just take them to Greenwich St, turn left and then make a right on Chambers, which will lead you back to Broadway (which you will turn right on). The next two options take you to Varick St. Just take it south to Chambers. The last option is the takes you to the OTHER side of Laight st. Take to Canal then a right on Broadway. See, nothing can go wrong there.

Just be aware of other cars and pedestrians and you should be just fine.