We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scared but eager to visit NYC

buffalo,ny
Level Contributor
54 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
scared but eager to visit NYC

Flying gives me the willies, but I want to see NYC again! The "vacation rentals" include a place "between Broadway and the Hudson Park"; it looks like it's not far from 110th st.

Any thoughts on the neighborhood for a 50-something WF traveling solo?

Also, any advice on the best way to get from JFK to Manhattan?

I want to visit Ellis Island, see Strawberry Fields, and wander around Manhattan; I might do a couple of tours of the city. I'm going to skip museums and the like this time; I want to get my bearings so I can visit NYC more often.

$$'s a consideration. I lean toward middle-age funky/arty/dangly earrings. I'm friendly and like people, just don't want to feel intimidated. I find Toronto comfortable, if that helps. Thanks so much.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scared but eager to visit NYC

Read the FAQs about renting apartments, how it's illegal and how you will be scammed. You go down this road, your fear of flying will be the least of your worries.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scared but eager to visit NYC

Here we go again.

Vacation rentals in NYC are ILLEGAL!!! Do not stay in an apartment rental unless you are renting for 30 days or more. Any that say they will rent to you for a day, week etc are either a scam or just breaking the law and you will be too if you stay in one. Find a hotel and if you can't post your dates, budget and number of people/rooms and the very nice people on here will help you.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 18:07
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scared but eager to visit NYC

And yes, even if it's on tripAdvisor..or vrbo..or homeaway..they do not check them out,they are only a clearing house.

Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scared but eager to visit NYC

Just my thoughts. Im 45 and looking forward to my 5th adventure in NYC. I sense a little air of safety concerns by you maybe? If there are, then i guess id be telling you not to worry. I live in Belfast, N.Ireland and to be honest i feel safer walking around in nyc than i do at home. Never have i felt threatened, never have i found myself somewhere where ive thought....uh oh! Maybe im naive, but new york is cleaner than my hometown and ive always found the people friendly if i were to ask for help on directions etc. I have never had one bad experience ever in the city and its the one place in the world i feel truly alive. Its like it turns a light on in my brain. At home, i always feel like a big fish in a small pond, in nyc its the opposite, and i love it. I have travelled there alone (although i am male, so maybe that helps, dunno) and ive been as far north as yonkers on the subway (last stop at woodlawn on the no4 train) and to coney island in the south and its always been great. I guess what im saying is, go for it. Experience it all to its fullest, and theres no need for concerns if you have any. The metro is a great way to get around as you probably know, and with a knowledge of that (map in pocket) you can easily see all the things youd like to visit with little effort.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: scared but eager to visit NYC

There is no reason to be scared in New York, I have been to New York two times solo and many times with my daughter. New York has to be one of the safest cities to be in solo as long as you use common sense. I also have found people are so friendly to you when they find that you are traveling by yourself. I have met a lot of people while eating at resturants.The safest way to get to your hotel is a taxi. From jfk there is a flat fee plus tip. I don't remember how much it is but to me it is reasonable.I advise against staying in a rental why not a hotel?Rentals are illegal why take the chance. Tell us when you are coming and people on here can help you find something cheap.

Brunswick, Georgia
Level Contributor
172 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scared but eager to visit NYC

I never felt unsafe in NYC. Never. Hell, we were as green as tourists can get when we boarded the AirTrain at JFK and then the subway to our hotel...even then we felt at ease.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scared but eager to visit NYC

i agree with horizon i am from manchester england when i was in new york in jan i felt safer than in my own city you will have a great time

buffalo,ny
Level Contributor
54 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scared but eager to visit NYC

Well, OK, here's the dates and my budget: 6/20 to 6/23, $150 a night. Thanks for the heads-up.

How about B&B's? I'm looking for something a little more personal than a hotel, altho I'm not averse to a hotel either. And - "en suite" and a TV (to relax by) are highly preferred!

And - where are these FAQs of which you speak? Thank you again.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: scared but eager to visit NYC

If you are on the full site (a regular computer) rather than the mobile version they are

on the right where you see Top questions about NEW YORK CITY (even when you are in a thread)

or the third thread down where you see FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions for NYC (the first three are "pins" which stay there permanently) when you are on the NYC forum homepage

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,241 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scared but eager to visit NYC

Many B&B's are also illegal in NYC (same laws). Many are closing down.

$150 is very tight for a room with a private bath in Manhattan for your dates. You might find something in a last minute sale. You can get a nice room in Long Island City (Queens) and it's a very quick subway ride into Manhattan. The Verve and Country Inn and Suites are two highly recommended LIC hotels. Country has a summer special for your dates for $127.50 and it can be canceled without a fee until a couple days before your travel dates. That will leave you flexible to look for Manhattan hotel sales closer to travel time.