We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broadway Matinee?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Broadway Matinee?

I see that on the weekends there are Matinee offerings on a number of shows, but price wise I don't see any difference between normal weeknight shows, am I missing something, what advantages are there of seeing a weekend matinee over a weeknight show?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,055 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,236 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broadway Matinee?

You can go out to dinner and do something in the evening if you see a matinee.

new york
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broadway Matinee?

You can see a show in the afternoon and another at night

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,122 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Broadway Matinee?

You get out before 11PM. It's really a schedule thing. If you don't see a benefit to seeing a weekend matinee, don't.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broadway Matinee?

Since I have never been to a broadway play I guess I just thought a matinee would be cheaper then an evening show, sorta like the movies are...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,301 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broadway Matinee?

Matinee movies here are no cheaper than evening shows. It's just a question of convenience/preference. Matinees are cheaper than Fri/Sat. night shows. You generally find more kids at matinees at shows that appeal to kids.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broadway Matinee?

You are right, I think, that through 1969 or so (?), matinees were a tiny bit cheaper. An important part of the audience today is bridge-and-tunnel drivers (I am one) who no longer have great night vision (I am luckily not yet one.) That is why the term "blue-hair matinee" is sometimes used.

But of course shows suitable for children draw extra kids at matinees. It is not impossible to have a serious dinner after an evening show, but there are many fewer choices. If you hope to see a "name" chef, it's much better to come to the last seating.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broadway Matinee?

Doing dinner after and such not a big issue with me. I am still going to have to convince my friend and his wife into just going as they are not big into the theater like I am. At around $70+ per ticket it will be a tough bit of convincing for me to do to see a show with them and not sure if going solo is an option since not sure what they would do during the time I am in the show.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broadway Matinee?

Look at the discount sites like www.broadwaybox.com perfect for people who are not theater people but still want to get along with their friends-- or you go to the theater and they can do something they like while you are in there.

9. Re: Broadway Matinee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2013, 09:19