We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MetroCard sharing -- How to swipe and walk thru turnstile

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
MetroCard sharing -- How to swipe and walk thru turnstile

If 3 riders share a Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard, do we need to swipe once and let the first rider to go through the turnstile, and swipe again and let the second rider go through the turnstile, and so on? This is assuming the there is a gate that opens only upon a swipe is complete, therefore 1 rider pays and goes at a time. From what I read, I understand that a card can be swiped multiple times consecutively. Then what? The riders go through the turnstile one by one consecutively without having to swipe the card in between? Does this means there is no mechanical opening of the gate and it's sort of like an honor system, relying on the honestly of the riders? Of course I am not trying to evade fares; I just wanted to make sure we won't get stuck at the turnstile, causing delay for ourselves and other subway riders.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: MetroCard sharing -- How to swipe and walk thru turnstile

#1 swipes & passes the card to the next person while walking through, etc.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MetroCard sharing -- How to swipe and walk thru turnstile

So it's swipe, walk, swipe, walk, swipe, walk -- and not swipe, swipe, swipe, walk, walk, walk. Yes?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,584 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MetroCard sharing -- How to swipe and walk thru turnstile

There is no honor system. It is either a turnstile or a revolving door type of entrance. BTW if you have trouble with the card and have to reswipe, make sure you do it at the same entrance otherwise you risk being charged twice!

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MetroCard sharing -- How to swipe and walk thru turnstile

Swipe, walk. Yes. BUT, only up to 4 people for each Pay-Per-Ride Metrocard

CH

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,352 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MetroCard sharing -- How to swipe and walk thru turnstile

Technically, you could swipe three times, and assuming each swipe registered (the display window will say "Go") you could then walk through one after the other. However, it's best to swipe and walk through while passing the card back - or, better, one person positions themselves at the swiper, swipes the card, and sends the first person through, then swipes again, sending the second person through, then swipes themselves through.

If you're traveling with two adults and one kid, send one adult through first, then the kid, then the last adult, so that the kid is always with an adult even if the card or turnstile malfunctions at some point. You don't want to be stuck on the other side of the turnstile from your kid.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MetroCard sharing -- How to swipe and walk thru turnstile

I concur with BB. In theory, you could swipe, swipe, swipe and then walk, walk, walk -- but if you are not familiar with how to swipe cards (and you aren't), youmay end up wasting fares, or not paying when you think you have and end up walking into a fixed turnstile bar. Since it doesn't take more time, have one person the "designated swiper" who swipes , and companion 1 walks through, and swipes, and companion 2 walks through, and then swipes a third time and goes through on his own.

Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MetroCard sharing -- How to swipe and walk thru turnstile

Hmm. A metrocard gives so much value for money that i would never use it for more than one person. Its the most valueable asset on any trip to NYC. We always have one each.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MetroCard sharing -- How to swipe and walk thru turnstile

it doesnt matter whether you have one pay per ride each or not - you will end up spending the same. We have never doner anything other than the unlimited so its never really been an issue for us.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MetroCard sharing -- How to swipe and walk thru turnstile

Very helpful input. Thanks, all!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MetroCard sharing -- How to swipe and walk thru turnstile

We are considering sharing a card because we are only staying in town very briefly. We figured since there are 3 of us, sometimes it may make more sense just to take a cab. I like GWB's idea of "designated swiper"; we did the same thing in Barcelona's subway and it worked very well. BB's tip about keeping the kid with one adult is also very important; many people not coming from big cities don't think about these very important issues.