We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter wknd in NY

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Easter wknd in NY

I am taking my boys, ages 26 and 17, to NY this coming Easter weekend. They have never been. The only thing they've requested is Times Square and Macys (the 17 yr old LOVES to shop). I'd like to give them a good overview of the city with a few stops along the way - maybe TOTR, Central Park (where specifically?) and Staten Island Ferry to see Liberty. I was thinking we would use the tour bus and get off at certain stops.

Our hotel is at Lexington and 49th. Do you think we need a metro card or taxi?

Restaurant suggestions are also welcome, i'm a foodie but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I'd like to get to Marcus Samuelson's restaurant in Harlem but fear it may be too far away from where we'll be touring.

We'll arrive on Friday around 7pm and depart Sunday afternoon. I'd like to factor in some downtime to just wander around and shop and get a feel for the city.

Considering it's a holiday weekend, should I expect the lines at the tourist sites to be abnormally long?

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter wknd in NY

I wouldn't waste my time with the tour buses for such a short trip. Buy a pay as you go Metro card that you can all use (probably no need for unlimited ones for such a short trip), and use the subway/buses to go between your destinations. I'm guessing that many stores will be closed on Easter, so maybe do you shopping and TOTR on Saturday and save Sunday for your Ferry cruise and Central Park meandering. Locals don't like it, but I suggest walking around in Times Square on Friday and/or Saturday nights, I love the energy. I love to get coffee and a dessert at the Europa Cafe on 43rd at 7th. Do some walking around lower Manhattan on your way back uptown from the ferry ride, i.e. the villages and Soho area.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter wknd in NY

Usually I also recomend skipping the tour buses, but for an overview of Manhattan on a short visit, with travel companions who don't think they're interested in sightseeing, it's a good choice.

I bet your sons will miraculously find interesting things they will want to see and do.

Just DON'T use the HOHO bus for transportation!! It's a terrible idea. Simply stay on and do a loop. If you take the Uptown loop, you'll get closer to Red Rooster.

Use the subway for getting around town, like everyone else does.

I would recommend the Easter Parade in front of St. Pat's on Easter Sunday, if you don't have plans. It's not a parade, btw. It's a chance to "see and be seen" in your Easter best and your wackiest! I like to say that it's the oldest continuously running "flash mob" in the world.

huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/25/nyc-easter-par…

Yes, I think that lines will be longer, sorry to say. I would do your shopping on Staurday.

"Our hotel is at Lexington and 49th. Do you think we need a metro card or taxi? "

From or to where?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter wknd in NY

Always opt for the subway over taxis especially given that you are on Lex where one of the major subway lines is. I would get one pay as you go metrocard and load it up with about $30 and then share it amongst you.

I think the Easter Parade on 5th is a hugh waste of time and energy. It really has become a joke. I agree about the HOHO buses you can take them if weather is nice but do not HOHO just stay on.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter wknd in NY

Thanks for the feedback.

I was looking into the RealNY Tours. They are long but pretty comprehensive. I think the boys will enjoy hearing some interesting tidbits about each site. The tour is six hours long which will take up most of of our Saturday..maybe not enough time left for shopping.

What do you think about Century 21 for shopping? It seems hard core but everything is in one place. When I was last in NY, I really like the Union Square area ( I think that's what it was), it seemed to have quite a few recognizable stores. (my teenager is not a boutique shopper).

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter wknd in NY

Union Square is the spot. Still has lots of good shops.

Personally, I love C21. It's great for men's and boys stuff.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter wknd in NY

ok, Real NY Tour and Union Square for shopping, it is. Won't have time for much else. Do you know if the stores in Union Square are open til 9pm given the holiday weekend? We'll be on the tour for most of the day and won't get to US until about 5ish. Also, can you recommend a good restaurant in the Union Square area? Thanks.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter wknd in NY

Don't know about shopping hours. Probably no different than usual.

Any particualr kind of food? Budget?

Popular less-expensive/casual choices are:

Republic

Chat n Chew

Coffee Shop

Zen Palate

Maoz

There's also a Whole Foods with a self-serve/prepared food area and seating.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter wknd in NY

"I think the Easter Parade on 5th is a hugh waste of time and energy."

LOL, I do, too, to be honest! But it might be interesting if you're from out of town and are going to be in midtown anyway. You need only spend 20 minutes there and you can move on to TOTR or elsewhere.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter wknd in NY

My guess is that some of the shopping you'll be interested in borders directly on Union Square, but that a fair bit of it will be up Fifth Avenue from 15th-23rd Streets. There are some good stores on Broadway going up from Union Square to 23rd Street as well.

While you're here in the Flatiron district, I'd suggest going all the way up to Madison Square Park (at 23rd Street) to get a nice view of the Flatiron Building (and a pretty good view of the ESB also, as well as a few other pretty buildings along the Madison Avenue side of the park).

The original location of Shake Shack is in Madison Square Park and your boys might like to eat there if the weather is nice (and the line not too long). Flatiron is chock full of restaurants - many, many options. What budget would you prefer to stick to and what kind of food do you like?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter wknd in NY

"I think the Easter Parade on 5th is a hugh waste of time and energy"

I'm going to disagree with the locals on this one. My wife and I went to the Easter Parade last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. As queensboulevard mentions, it is not some thing you will want to block out a lot of time for, but definitely worth a stop. It will be very crowded, so be prepared for that.

Enjoy your trip - ours was a blast!

-JimG