We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation on Vacation

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation on Vacation

We are a family of 5 from Australia Traveling to NYC for the first time in July. We enquired on a 3 bedroom apartment near Time Square thru vrbo.com We need an apartment with kitchen due to having a child with special needs. We received an email back from Vacation on vacation basically saying first in best dressed. Whoever pays the $1000.00 deposit first secures the apartment. We have missed out on a great deal due the distance/time frame regarding communication. Has anyone booked thru vacation on vacation?? I am very concerned about scammers. What do you think??

Mentioned in this post
Time Square Apartments
Time Square Apartments
27 Reviews
New York City, NY
Special Offer
Madame Tussauds New York
149 Reviews
from US$31.49*
US$37.03
Hard Rock Cafe New York Times Square
14 Reviews
from US$32.49*
New York Double-Decker Bus Night Tour
154 Reviews
from US$29.00*
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation on Vacation

3 bed apartment sin NYC are rare - it is also illegal to rent them for less than 30 days. Have you read the FAQ's on this point?:-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

whats your budget and dates? how many beds do you need?

There are legal apartment style hotels that may assist such as affinia group, beacon, salisbury etc.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation on Vacation

We have a 17 year old a 16 year old and a 9 year old with special needs. We would like a 3 bedroom with kitchen all aussie boys who do NOT share a bed little fella can do a sofa bed/rollerway. We would love to be in the thick of things.. TIME SQUARE.... And a view for mum and dad (nice) terrace/balcony. That's what we thought we found but on investigating alarm bells started ringing. Are we right to be concerned? can u suggest anything? Our budget is $400 to $500 a night. Thanks mate !!

Mentioned in this post
Time Square Apartments
Time Square Apartments
27 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation on Vacation

Don't rent an apartment - as stated above, it's illegal for apartments to be rented for fewer than 30 days. And 3 bedroom apartments in Manhattan are few and far between and therefore very expensive (if this was advertised for less than $400 per night, yes it probably was a scam).

There are apartment hotels like the Marmara, Milburn, www.affinia.com hotels, Radio City Apartments, Doubletree Suites, Beekman Tower, the Beacon. These all have kitchens or kitchenettes and you could possibly find a 2 bedroom apartment with a sofa bed in the living area. (For the Beacon, you have to call them to ask about the 2 bedroom.)

It will probably end up cheaper booking 2 hotel rooms than a 2 bedroom suite apartment. Not sure if this will work for you depending on the age of the children.

If you post your exact dates and maximum nightly budget in USD (remember taxes add ~15% to advertised hotel rates) we can provide suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
The Milburn Hotel
The Milburn Hotel
1,195 Reviews
New York City, NY
Radio City Apartments
Radio City Apartments
2,383 Reviews
New York City, NY
Beekman Tower by BridgeStreet
Beekman Tower by...
23 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hotel Beacon
Hotel Beacon
4,090 Reviews
New York City, NY
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation on Vacation

for what dates? As I say 3 bed apartments are rare even rarer are ones in times square with a balcony!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation on Vacation

Times Square is not usually recommended for families with children - it's a great place to visit but not to stay. Too crowded, no good restaurants, etc. A neighborhood like the Upper West Side or

Upper East Side would be nice for local restaurants, bars etc. And not many places have balconies so perhaps don't have your hopes high for that.

Please post your EXACT DATES as a budget is useless without them. I'm sure you could find something in early January at that budget, but there's no way you'll find it in September. And rates fluctuate wildly within the same week sometimes.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,185 Reviews
New York City, NY
Upper West Side
Upper West Side
804 Reviews
New York City, NY
Upper East Side
Upper East Side
231 Reviews
New York City, NY
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation on Vacation

Sorry guys read previous post. Time delay is driving me crazy!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation on Vacation

Sorry but I don't see dates in your previous post?

PS. Ignore what I said about children, didn't notice that 2 of them are not kids. But I still wouldn't recommend staying in TS.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 12:31
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation on Vacation

July 13th, 2012 to July 20th. Sorry you guys do your dates differently to us dont want to get it wrong. Aussies 13/07/12 to 20/07/12. You guys I think go 07/13/12 to 07/20/12.. 7 nights anyhow haha sorry. Bloody Aussies!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation on Vacation

Hey this bloody Aussie is trying to help you. ;)

The Marmara is a little out of budget at $595 per night, but it's pretty spacious and a nice option so you should consider it if you can stretch the budget. The second bedrom has 2 twin beds and there's a sofa bed in the living area.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation on Vacation

Guest House off Park is affiliated with the Community Church of NY. The Fanny Farmer apartment would suit you and is available at under $300 per night. It's pretty basic but in a good location.

http://www.theguesthouseoffpark.org/