We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun and lively restaurant for group of ten in Midtown

Atlanta
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fun and lively restaurant for group of ten in Midtown

We are meeting up with relatives for the day and need a fun place to eat lunch. There will be 3 adults and 7 teenagers. We plan to visit Central Park and the Met after lunch. They are coming in on the train so any place between Grand Central Terminal and Central Park south would be preferred. We don't particularly want to go to a theme restaurant in Times Square.

A fun and non-stuffy atmosphere where the adults can enjoy a drink while the kids talk is important. I'm leaning towards a pub-type restaurant. Any suggestions? I'd like to make a reservation in advance but understand that this may not be possible.

Thanks for your advice!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun and lively restaurant for group of ten in Midtown

Carmine's - a busting place with huge, family-stlye servings: two locations, one near Times Square and one on the Upper West Side close to the west of the park - you can walk through the park to get to the Met.

http://carminesnyc.com/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,973 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun and lively restaurant for group of ten in Midtown

There are dozens of Irish pub type places in midtown east and west with decent food (Cassidy's, O'Lunney's, Oldcastle Pub, Langan's, Eamonn's, PJ Moran's), but I don't see that any of them will be particularly "fun" for the typical teen except perhaps St. Andrews that has bartenders in kilts.

http://www.standrewsnyc.com/index.html

www.menupages.com/restaurants/st-andrews/

I'd recommend Robert restaurant inside the Museum of Art & Design. It sits just near the south end of the park and is on the top floor (9) of the museum. It's not that high up, but the view is spectacular, the food pretty good and varied and it's somewhat off the beaten track. You can make reservations.

menupages.com/restaurants/robert-restaurant/

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun and lively restaurant for group of ten in Midtown

+1 for carmines.

serafina has a few locations serafinarestaurant.com/serafina/locations.ht…

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun and lively restaurant for group of ten in Midtown

For a group that size I would not go out unless you have reservations--- otherwise you may have a very very long wait unless you are willing to split up into 2 parties at different tables and different times.

new york
Level Contributor
301 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun and lively restaurant for group of ten in Midtown

Carmine's is fun, friendly, bustling, everything you want. it's family style but you are also welcome to order your own dishes. the food is tasty, mostly italian cuisine, and affordable ! located right in times square.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun and lively restaurant for group of ten in Midtown

When is this meeting? For LUNCH consider Duke's Roadhouse on 3rd and 38th. (So yes, it's tough of GCT, and a bit out of your desired area -- but not much). You can sit outdoors. For evening meals this place gets a bit rowdie and only you know if you want to expose your teens to that atmosphere.

Edited: 29 March 2012, 17:28
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun and lively restaurant for group of ten in Midtown

OK .. that should be 'SOUTH of GCT" ... don't know where that word 'tough' came from.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun and lively restaurant for group of ten in Midtown

Ha ha! TOUGH of GCT! Sorry I was unclear, but we are looking for a lunch place. The teenagers have to go to school in Connecticut the next day so a dinner is out.

Duke's Roadhouse sounds interesting so I checked it out. Seems it is a "southern" place and since I have lived in the deep south my entire life, it's not exactly what I was looking for! The Connecticut crowd would probably find it interesting, though. But....I'm the one picking the restaurant so I was looking for something a little more urban.

I'm not necessarily looking for a kid-friendly restaurant - just one that is not too quiet and formal.

9. Re: Fun and lively restaurant for group of ten in Midtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2013, 10:22