We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Cards

Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Metro Cards

I just read a post about using the cards in the subway and there was a discussion about not only how many people could use what card but there was a lot of discussion about the speed of swiping the card--what is the proper way or speed to swipe the card? Someone mentioned giving classes to tourists to show them the proper way to use the card--where do I enroll-lol ???

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
1. Re: Metro Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 March 2012, 21:05
Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro Cards

It's kind of hard to try to help you with speed on the internet, but move the card steadily, not jerkily, at a pace between flying it through and dragging it through.

Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro Cards

No joke--I read about the card--you should know--this is my 3rd trip to NYC and I still haven't been on the subway because I'm terrified of it but the group I'm coming with ( 6 of us) are determined to use the subway. I am trying to get as much information as possible becaus one of my biggest fears is using that means of transportation--sorry I ruffled your feathers--that was certainly NOT my intention.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro Cards

There is no reason to be terrified of the subway. As parfaits says, it's really hard to explain it over the internet, but stand out of the way and watch a few people do it before you if that helps, then just swipe it like you would swipe a credit card, and adjust the speed based on what the machine tells you. The reader will say "too fast" or "too slow." And if some New Yorker takes your card out of your hand and swipes it for you, watch how they do it and thank them.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,871 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro Cards

Don't be terrified. It is really not bad. Hey-you dealt with TSA and you took a flight and you got to Manhattan and now the subway is no harder! You will laugh at yourself after you see how easy it really is.

Besides, as my father would have said, you speak English, you have a question or a problem you ask. ( and reality today is you can ask in a dozen languages and find someone to answer)

Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro Cards

Thank you Parfaits and BrooklynBridge for your very helpful replies. I also have a mini trip to NYC coming up in May with my husband and daughter and hope to use the trip in April with friends to get me use to the subway so I can share the experience with DH and DD. Once again--thank you VERY much.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,629 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro Cards

You're welcome. Enjoy your trip, and be sure to report back on how it goes!

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro Cards

Hey if a couple of Aussies - who live no where near anything similar to the subway can work it out - apart from the language difficultiies - you won't have a problem !!!

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro Cards

Honestly, it is not that hard. If it does not work it will tell you to swipe again.

During our 6 day visit we caught the subway every day. And often multiple times.

Once you get the hang of it it is quite easy and a safe way to travel.

Good luck.

Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro Cards

Still dont get these "afraid of subway" posts. Maybe its because im from Belfast and of sterner stuff, but the subway is a joy to use. You will find that its not full of weird and scary underground dwellers but in fact many business people in suits etc. Its the veins below the skin of NYC and everything flows down there with ease. I reckon anyone who has reservations about it and tries it just once will wonder why they were worrying. To get from A to B nothing beats the subway. Just look at your map (theyre free) and pick either the uptown or downtown platform depending on which way you want to go (thats north or south of your current position). Thats the basics of it. If you do miss your stop, with an unlimited card its easy to just get off as soon as you realise and go back again. Doesnt cost anything extra. The NYC underground is as much a "must see" for me as any other attraction there. You can even shop and get treated to some top class musical performances down there. So get down those stairs and get exploring! :-)