We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Esta

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Esta

Quick Esta question - do we have to print our ESTA confirmations for when we arrive? Because I haven't...

TIA.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Esta

There was another discussion on the forum about this recently. The general consensus was that you don't HAVE to (few people have ever been asked for it) but that many do "just in case". You can re-access your ESTA online if you retrieve your details and can print from there. But if worst comes to worst and you can't print it, you SHOULD be ok.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Esta

Immigration officials are not going to ask for your ESTA, when they scan your passport they see you have one.

Certain airlines do seem, according to some stories, to require them sometimes.

England
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Esta

No, you do not need a "print out".

tipperary
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Esta

My parents are flying to New York in ten days , they were there over a year and a half ago . I was just online with my Father sorting out their API and ESTA and the website said they had 30 days left on their ESTA from the previous visit . Does this mean they are covered for their trip as it says the 30 days are valid until this September ? Has anyone gone through this before ?

Many thanks in advance,

kind regards Deedee

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Esta

if anyone wanted my print out, I'd ask them

"Why do you want a print out of an Electronic System for Travel Authorization, isn't it Electronic for a reason?"

M

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Esta

Hola.

This is from our friends at the U.S. CBP:

“If you received approval and did not print out or write down your application number, which is needed in order to update your application or check your status, you may retrieve the application number through the ESTA web site (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/) by clicking "Retrieve Application Number" and enter the applicants name, date of birth, passport number and passport issuing country…..

…..You are not required to present a printout of your application number to board your flight. That number is transmitted electronically to the airlines. However, it is important to print a copy of your approved application as it contains your ESTA number that may be needed for reference purposes."

And for more information see (you may need to cut-and-paste the hyperlink into the URL in your browser):

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1083/~/esta--update,-obtain-status,-or-print-authorization

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Edited: 04 May 2012, 23:29
7. Re: Esta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:42