We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining Near Town Hall

Florida Space Coast
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dining Near Town Hall

We have tickets to see "Sierra Maestra" at the Town Hall, 123 West 43rd street while we are in New York. The concert starts at 8PM. I would appreciate suggestions for places nearby, where we can get something to eat before the show? We are thinking of a light dinner as opposed to a huge meal (because we will have had a big lunch earlier in the day)---also, won't be "dressed up", so something where nice/causual is appropriate? As well, need to know how much time to allow for this, and would it be a good idea to reserve in advance? I am guessing there are lots of eating places in the area, that is why I thought it would be a good idea to ask "the experts" for suggestions! Many thanks for your help.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining Near Town Hall

Since Town Hall is just off of Times Square there are tons of places to eat however you do not need to eat near the theater if you do it right--- the theater is about a 2 minute walk from the Times Square subway station so you could eat almost anywhere and jump on a train from 2 miles away and be there in about 10 minutes. Most of the places around Times Square are not very good so I would look to eat somewhere else and then subway to the theater.

If you don't like that plan then put the address of the theater into Googlemaps.com and when it comes up click on search nearby and in the second box type in the type of restaurant you would like. It will populate your map with a number of choices

Edited: 31 March 2012, 13:47
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining Near Town Hall

Ninth Ave (2-3 blocks west of the theater) has lots of small ethnic restaurants that are good ortions.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,859 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining Near Town Hall

There are plenty of restaurants within a reasonable walk from Town Hall. Whether you need to book depends on the place and what you want to eat. A lot of restaurants will serve light food or more casual appetizers/sandwiches in the bar area and won't take a reservation for that. Others like St. Andrews would take a reservation and have all sorts of options.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/st-andrews/

There are some tapas places like Riposa but they're further away on 9th ave.

menupages.com/restaurants/…

Bar Centrale could be interesting, not as far west but you do NEED a reservation there. It's small and hidden up a flight of stairs above Joe Allen's.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/bar-centrale/

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,245 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining Near Town Hall

I agree with eveything everyone has written -- especially about 9th avenue -- but as somewhat frequent patrons of Town Hall, two nearby favorites of ours are Sapporo noodle shop (this is a sit down restaraunt but no credit cards accedpted) http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/sapporo/ and St. Andrews Pub http://www.standrewsnyc.com/ -- be sure to ask for the "pub menu" which has lighter and cheaper fare (outstanding beer selection, by the way) -- they have live music saturday nights and if downstairs is too noisy ask to sit upstairs. Sapporo gets very crowded and I would be there by 6:00 and you'll be ok without a reservation, they move very fast. Likewise, no reservation needed at St. Andres if you get there by 6:00 (assuming you're 2 people, I mean)

Alas, we had to skip Sieara Maestra due to a conflicting engagement but it looks like a great show

Edited: 31 March 2012, 17:58
Florida Space Coast
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining Near Town Hall

Thanks for the help and suggestions. After looking at the website have decided to go to St. Andrews for our pre-concert meal. It's the kind of food we like anyway, and so I really appreciate this suggestion. Thanks again everyone.

6. Re: Dining Near Town Hall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2013, 10:22