We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time from Manhattan to Newark

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Time from Manhattan to Newark

We're thinking of booking Dial 7 or All State to take us from Hotel Mela to Newark airport since our flight is early and we would like to avoid being picked up ridiculously early (pre-415am) by a common shuttle.

Our flight is at 830am on a Thursday in late April and its an international to Toronto. If we pre-book Dial 7 or All State, what time should we get the reservation for? Would ordering the taxi for 515am or 530am be enough time?

Thanks!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time from Manhattan to Newark

Sorry, our flight is on a Sunday out of Newark, not Thursday at 830am.

THANK GOODNESS I got that right now! :)

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time from Manhattan to Newark

You're so close to Port Authority...why not take the airport bus? Very comfortable and just as quick....I'm not sure what the traffic is like at that time, but personally I'd not anything earlier than 5:30

LOL...so no traffic jam....^_^

Edited: 01 April 2012, 01:23
New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time from Manhattan to Newark

traffic sunday AM at that hour should be a breeze, not much longer than 30min. you could probably leave at 6.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
199 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time from Manhattan to Newark

meyem which is the bus direct from newark to the port authority. I'd looked at buses but thought the nearest one stopped at bryant park?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time from Manhattan to Newark

Our point is we would rather take a taxi that would allow us to dictate when we leave. Buses and shuttles have predetermined pick up times which usually means leaving way before we actually have to. Allstate and dial7 are allowed to operate in NY and NJ so we won't have to pay the return premium.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,003 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time from Manhattan to Newark

Sunday morning at that hour will be fast, no delays anywhere and around 30 min like trippNYC says

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time from Manhattan to Newark

Our airline is suggesting we arrive at the airport 2.5 to 3 hours before departure, so I think we will leave at 530am. Thats a whole hour later than if we booked a shuttle (and at the same price pretty much).

An extra hour sleep = an extra hour enjoying New York the night before!

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time from Manhattan to Newark

www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

this is the bus I took from Port Authority to Newark

so far I found 2 hours ahead is plenty...you can't all board and/or go through security at the same time anyway...

Edited: 03 April 2012, 22:06
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time from Manhattan to Newark

Yeah... That coach is only mildly less expensive for two people than Allstate or Dial7. For an extra $10, I'd prefer a private sedan.

But it's good to know two hours will be plenty. We will adjust our leaving time accordingly.

I'm such a sucker for every last minute of sleep!!!

Edited: 04 April 2012, 01:05
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time from Manhattan to Newark

Others will have to chime in, but maybe tolls will be added to the sedan costs, as will a tip?