We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I don't quite understand my I phone 4 s. Can anyone explain?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
89 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
I don't quite understand my I phone 4 s. Can anyone explain?

I wish to take my phone to New York next week. I don't want to make calls or send texts and I dont wish to change Sim cards. I do want to use the maps'and possibly check emails using WIFI. Is any of that possible? I do not have call roaming on my phone. I would love some help. Julia

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,069 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I don't quite understand my I phone 4 s. Can anyone explain?

Yes, it's possible, though you'll need access to wi-fi.

Go to Settings, then General. Turn Cellular Data off. Then select Roaming, and turn both Voice Roaming and Data Roaming off. Do this when you get on the plane, before you put the phone in Airplane Mode. When you turn Airplane Mode off, you'll still have Wi-Fi available.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I don't quite understand my I phone 4 s. Can anyone explain?

call your carrier for a better answer, but you should be able to use maps and check emails via wi-fi. you will probably be charged intl roaming data to access maps and email. ask your carrier if your phone is enabled to work intl and how data is charged for maps, email etc.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,069 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I don't quite understand my I phone 4 s. Can anyone explain?

If you're using Wi-Fi, there's no roaming.

England
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I don't quite understand my I phone 4 s. Can anyone explain?

When at our hotel (recent visit), we logged into their free service.Checked our "e" mails, news back home etc, all O.K. We also had i pad with us, all O.K. and doable.When we were out and about we were picking up unlocked access in delis, coffees shops etc, and we were able to use their wi-fi, no difference to what we experience in the U.K.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I don't quite understand my I phone 4 s. Can anyone explain?

I've been fretting about this too. I found out that you should turn off cellular data (called mobile data on my UK phone) as well as roaming, as Brooklyn says.I turned off cellular data then could not find the roaming setting. After much switching and sliding, I found that if you switch off cellular data first, that overrides the roaming switch, which promptly disappears. So, to be sure, I'm going to set roaming to off first, then switch off cellular data. Belts and braces folks, the British way!

P.S. I'm also turning off 3G.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I don't quite understand my I phone 4 s. Can anyone explain?

And taking an old pay as you go phone for emergencies!

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I don't quite understand my I phone 4 s. Can anyone explain?

and in real emergencies...you could probably take it into a apple store where someone there would help you....

preston
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I don't quite understand my I phone 4 s. Can anyone explain?

Just make sure you turn off data roaming or you will get huuuuge charges. Any apps you have that constantly run in the background will use it, as will any internet usage.

Check what the charges are with your provider.

Starbucks has free wifi and lets be honest, you don't have to walk far to find one of those! Your hotel might have it as well so you shouldn't have a problem finding a hotspot to use. We never have.

9. Re: I don't quite understand my I phone 4 s. Can anyone explain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 01:40