We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best street(s) for exploring Chelsea?

Toronto
Level Contributor
344 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best street(s) for exploring Chelsea?

A response to a similar query recommends the "Chelsea Strip" - 8th Ave. between 16th and 23rd, but that thread is nearly 4 years old. Are those blocks still the focal point for Chelsea in terms of interesting shops and restaurants?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best street(s) for exploring Chelsea?

Chelsea continues to grow and now with the High Line, there is lots to see and do along 10th Avenue.

8th Avenue is still popular but there is also lots along 7th Avenue.

All of Chelsea is quite charming.

Toronto
Level Contributor
344 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best street(s) for exploring Chelsea?

Thank you MoreFF. You might have noticed that was your old post that I was quoting from. You continue to be the authority on Chelsea.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,888 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best street(s) for exploring Chelsea?

If we want to walk the Highline, we don't mind climbing up and down...any areas/streets in particular that would warrant a trip down?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best street(s) for exploring Chelsea?

If you get a chance, stop at genral Theological Seminar, in the heart of Chelsea and across the street from the Clement Clark Moore House where he wrote the famous "'Twas the night before Christmas..."

Even if you don't care about the seminary part, it is a lovely campus. it used to be open to public, but call first. Don't know if it is still.

http://www.gts.edu/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,464 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best street(s) for exploring Chelsea?

I love walking on the blocks of 20th and 21st Street right around the GTS. The seminary campus lovely, even just to pass by, and those blocks are lined with pretty townhouses. St. Peter's church adds to the charm. And Cafe Grumpy is right there, too (good coffee).

Also be sure to visit Chelsea Market and the High Line!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best street(s) for exploring Chelsea?

must.stop.reading.travel.forums. :)

no room for any more in the itinerary...but how can I resist?! where does the day in Chelsea fit in?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best street(s) for exploring Chelsea?

In the high twenties near the high line are several great art gallery streets.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best street(s) for exploring Chelsea?

There isn't any area right around the High Line today that isn't simply delightful.

My favorites are the meatpacking district and cocktails on the rooftop at The Standard. I'm a big fan of West 14th Street and also a big fan of Chelsea Market. I can't soak up enough of the High Line - I love it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,407 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best street(s) for exploring Chelsea?

"...across the street from the Clement Clark Moore House where he wrote the famous "'Twas the night before Christmas..."

Out of curiosity, is it possible to visit the actual house? Has it been set up as a museum or anything? I have not been able to find anything via google.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best street(s) for exploring Chelsea?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clement_Clarke_Moore

http://www.nightbeforechristmas.biz/moore.htm