We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations on a short notice

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendations on a short notice

I'm planning to visit New York over the next weekend, coming in late at night on Friday (April 6) and leaving Tuesday, April 10. A budget is a relative thing, it's hard for me to judge how much is too little for this city as I have never visited it before, but ideally I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible. As long as it's clean and located near the subway to make it easy to explore the city from, I would be happy. What would you guys recommend?

Also, I'm getting here on a motorcycle and likely will arrive close to midnight. That would mean the hotel has to have 24 hour concierge available. I'd probably leave my bike parked for the duration of my stay, what is the best way of doing it? Is it safe to park it on the street, or should I look for garage parking instead?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendations on a short notice

That's Easter weekend. As cheap as possible doesn't say how much you're prepared to spend. If you're willing to stay outside Manhattan you'll do better. Look in Long Island City. I would park in a garage.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendations on a short notice

There are a few hotels in NYC that will allow you to keep your bike in your room with you. Do a search on google.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendations on a short notice

The Roosevelt has an average nightly rate of $214 plus tax on www.quikbook.com .

Given it's last minute, you could try bidding on www.priceline.com - if you haven't used it before, read the tips on www.betterbidding.com .

Staying outside of Manhattan, the Country Inn in Long Island City is $170 per night.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendations on a short notice

Or a great option is the Pod Hotel, a very convenient location in Manhattan, with shared bathroom for an average of $155 per night.

Once you've chosen your hotel, use www.bestparking.com to find a place to keep your bike nearby.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 02:48
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendations on a short notice

I would take advantage of the $249usd per night deal at the new 5* Conrad suites throught travelzoo. You will see a small room 3* in Manhattan can be this much-it is a great introductory deal for a nice new 5* hotel-

travelzoo.com/hotels/…

They can help you with area parking-good Luck!

Edited: 02 April 2012, 02:53
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,265 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendations on a short notice

Jiminnc -- a motorcycle IN your hotel room? What do you do, roll it into the elevator and take it up to your room? I gotta think there's regulations regarding storing any sort of gas engine (with fuel) in your room. I did try googling it, but didn't find anything like that. I did find this discussion, but that's about it.

hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/575635-new…

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendations on a short notice

Gotcha!

A belated happy April Fool's Day to all the wonderful experts on the NYC forum. You guys are the best!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendations on a short notice

The sad part is Jiminnc is that this probably has been tried for real before there is not too much that would be considered absurd in this city even for April 1st.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,265 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel recommendations on a short notice

LOL!!! You got me all right! After being caught by my kids several times during the day, I figured I was "safe" late night. Little did I know ...... hahahaha!!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel recommendations on a short notice

In the Hotel Carter, you could probably keep your motorcycle in someone else's room!