We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK airport

Frankfurt, Germany
7 posts
Save Topic
JFK airport

Hi All! Me and my husband arrive at JFK Terminal 1 on Lufthansa from Frankfurt, Germany at 12:55. We need to change aircraft, to US Airways flight to Phoenix at 16.20. (as I have seen, they are on T7). Flights will be booked separately at different companies, so if time is not enough, we will be in deep trouble. If our flight will be on time, is 3 hours enough time to get through immigration, get our bags, customs, than go to the other terminal, check in with luggage, and go through security again?

If it’s too rushed, we have to stay around the airport, and leave with an early morning flight.

Thanks in advance to everybody for help.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK airport

Assuming your plane lands on time, that SHOULD be enough time. It's a question of whether you want to assume that, though.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK airport

Delta and Jet Blue have later fights.

Flighstats.com

Will give you history of on time arrival of the first flight.

Frankfurt, Germany
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK airport

Thank you BrooklynBrdge and Nywhiz your help. We will check the later JetBlue flight, just to be on the safe side.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK airport

If your flights are on separate tickets, I wouldn't do this.

There's a good chance that your first flight will land on time, and that customs/immigration will be quick. If everything works as planned, you'll be fine.

But there's also a possibility that your first flight will be delayed or that you'll get held up at customs/immigration. And by "possibility," I mean a real possibility.

My personal opinion is that booking same-day flights on different tickets is a bad idea. I've done it once in my life and had to beg the second carrier to re-book my ticket after the first carrier had a 24-hour weather delay.

5. Re: JFK airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 00:40