We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Hi,

We are looking to book a few days in New York City. We would be landing at Newark NJ and probably staying at the New Yorker Hotel on 8th Av near Penn St Station. I looked at the NJ Transport website and the cost of the train from the airport to Penn St is currently $12.50pp and it takes only about 23 mins. Does anyone know what the cost of a taxi would be and how long would the journey take in the early afternoon.

Thanks.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

New York City taxi's can't pick you up at Newark Airport so you have to get a local Newark taxi. They can't pick up in NYC so anytime you take a taxi across state lines, you have to pay double.

So, the taxi fare between Newark and Manhattan is expensive. You have to pay the toll too and that is expensive.

With toll and tip, you need to figure almost $100. to go to Midtown. It may be closer to $80.00 but that has never really been my experience.

The train is faster and more efficient, especially for a hotel so close to Penn Station.

$12.50 per person. The AirTrain connects the terminals with the main airport train station. The train takes you right into New York Penn Station. It generally takes about 45 minutes from the terminals at Newark Airport into New York Penn Station if you make a quick connection between the AirTrain (it runs every two to three minutes) and the train (there are roughly 4 - 6 an hour depending on time of day)

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Taxis from EWR are about $55 + tolls (around $16) + tip panynj.gov/airports/ewr-taxi-car-van-service… (your hotel is in the west 30s). Depending on time of day you could hit traffic which will increase the time and cost. The train is more reliable and requires one transfer (from Airtrain to NJ Transit). You'll get out at Penn STation which is an easy walk to your hotel.

I've never actually taken the train myself (no need) but I believe the total time including waiting and travel will be closer to 1 hour from the time you start waiting for the airtrain. I would love to hear people's actual experiences

Edited: 06 April 2012, 02:50
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Hey NorthwestGirl:-) As mentioned, you won't find NYC cabs at EWR..they'll be NJ cabs and and although they're tiered on where you're heading into NYC, doubt much it would be anywhere near $100 for where you're heading! If looking for a car service, check out Carmel or Dial7..as stated, they'll offer you a flat rate which you add tip/toll..usually totals around $70-75. As far as how long it will take..anyone's guess..can be as quick as 40 min..or an hour++ depending on traffic..getting through the Lincoln Tunnel can be a challenge at times;-) NJTransit is your best bet since it's not traffic dependent..and if you're up to it..You can always use one of the courtesy phones for either car service when there if you opt for it..they always have cars waiting..you won't have more than an approx 10 min wait for one...no reason to pre-book;-) Have fun..and ENjOY!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

The train is so easy, I would really recommend it. I did a car service once when I had a 4:30 pick up and it was $80 from Penn Station and that was at least 4 years ago.

Pam

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

I have not done the train from EWR to Penn, but did do the reverse trip in February. Headed to Penn around 4:15 with the intention of getting on a 4:55PM train, but as soon as I bought my ticket from the machine, they were announcing one boarding downstairs. Headed down and caught an earlier one and as claimed, I was getting out at EWR 23 minutes later. Airtrain came 5 minutes later, and less than 45 minutes from walking into Penn, I was in the security line at the airport. VERY easy.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

thanks for posting your experience, Scott

7. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 22:13
Scotland
Level Contributor
201 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

After reading posts on this site we opted for the AirTrain and NJ Transit - going into NY City was a piece of cake, no bother, cheap and easy. Getting back to EWR was so difficult, trying to find NJ Transit at NY Penn Station during the rush hour was impossible, having a NY cop shout 'WHAAAAT' at me when asked where the NJ Transit station was was surreal, then we couldn't figure the departure screens, then when buying the ticket for the return journey we could only spot Penn Station New Jersey on the options, after buying this ticket we found out it was no use for exiting at EWR airport stop and had to buy an further ticket at 5.50USD to acess the station. Tip - buy a return ticket at EWR, ticket machines quiet and safe and working, also take cards and cash.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Was there an issue with following the signs that say "NJ Transit?" Where were you that you couldn't find the main concourse of the station?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

I've done this trip a couple of times both ways. A breeze. Tickets at NY Penn are easy to buy at a machine. Look at the boards for EWR and head down the escalator when its time. Twenty odd minutes later you're there at the Newark Airport Station. Keeping hold of your ticket, take an escalator to the Air Train to your terminal. Beats the traffic. Going the other way, take the Air Train for free, buy a ticket to NY Penn and enjoy the 25 minute ride. You might see some of the grimy scenery from The Sopranos.