We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Hi,

We are looking to book a few days in New York City. We would be landing at Newark NJ and probably staying at the New Yorker Hotel on 8th Av near Penn St Station. I looked at the NJ Transport website and the cost of the train from the airport to Penn St is currently $12.50pp and it takes only about 23 mins. Does anyone know what the cost of a taxi would be and how long would the journey take in the early afternoon.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

jhazzard, the Pearl is between Eighth Avenue and Broadway. This means that from Penn Station you can take either the uptown #1 train to its 50th Street station, which is at 50th and Broadway, or you can take the uptown E or the C train to their 50th Street station, which is at 50th and Eighth Avenue. You will then be just around the corner from your hotel. Note that if you do use the Eighth Avenue trains, at 50th Street the C and the E stop in the same station, but on different levels -- as the C is on top, and closer to the street with fewer stiars, it would be the better choice. If you are using that line, and stairs matter, and the E comes first, then let it go by and wait for the C. Of course, if you are using the #1 train, it won't matter. Also note that both 50th Street stations are local stops, and express trains (the A, the #2, the #3) which you can get at Penn Station do not stop there -- so don't take the express, take only the local.

Mentioned in this post
The Pearl Hotel
The Pearl Hotel
2,525 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Maverick, train service from New York Penn Station to the Newark Airport train station begins at 4:17 in the morning, and the AirTrain runs 24 hours a day. You can find the schedule for New Jersey Transit trains here:

www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv…

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

You don't tell us whether the 07:49 flight on Friday April 19th (a weekday) is a domestic / internal flight or an overseas flight.

Trains are frequent on weekday mornings around 6:00AM for a domestic / internal flight. I would leave earlier for an international flight.

You will be very very surprised how crowded the trains between 4:00AM and 7:00AM are. I take the train to Newark Airport fairly regularly around 5:00AM for flights a little before 7:00AM and I'm still surprised how many people use those early morning trains.

GWB gave you a link to the schedule - that should answer all your questions. I always suggest allowing another 15 minutes after the scheduled arrival posted on that website for when you'll get to the check-in counter or Security checkpoint.

Safe and easy.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
461 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Knew I'd forget something the flight is to San Juan Puerto Rico so would be international then.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

No, it would be domestic. San Juan is a commonwealth of the United States whose inhabitants are US citizens; you don't go through customs travelling to or from Puerto Rico.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
United States
United States
North America
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

San Juan Puerto Rico is a domestic / internal flight.

There is no U.S. Customs and Immigration involved. Travel to / from San Juan isn't any different than travel between Manchester and Edinburgh or Glasgow.

You can simply print your boarding passes off the evening before, drop your bag and head directly to the gate via the TSA checkpoint.

NJ Transit has a 6:01AM train from New York Penn to Newark Airport on weekday mornings. While you'd probably be just fine with the 6:21AM train, I'd choose the 6:01AM train just to be safe.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
461 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

GWB & More FFmiles

You guys are superb ( much better than my travel agent ) if your ever over in the UK let me know. Drinks on me lol

Thanks again

Maverick aka Dave

Exmouth England
Level Contributor
699 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

I am glad I saw this thread. I too am staying at New Yorker flying in to Newark Airport in September and was wondering which mode of transport would be the best to use. I think I will go with the Airtrain. Sorry to sound thick but is the NY transit a change that I would have to make when travelling on the Airtrain or is that another option?

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

AirTrain Newark is simply a monorail that connects the three terminals with the airport train station.

You can not walk to or take a taxi to the airport train station (or walk / taxi back to the terminals from the airport train station) - the airport train station is in a remote area accessible exclusively by AirTrain.

NJ Transit is the commuter railroad connecting Newark Airport train station with New York Penn Station (opposite the New Yorker Hotel).

It is one combined $12.50 ticket. Hold on to your ticket as it will be collected by the conductor on the train. Do not lose or misplace your ticket.

Trains are fast and frequent. Everything is safe, well-marked and user-friendly.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Train is perfect for you. If you want to travel short distant then taxi is perfect. But for long run train is a good choice, the choice is yours.