We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Hi,

We are looking to book a few days in New York City. We would be landing at Newark NJ and probably staying at the New Yorker Hotel on 8th Av near Penn St Station. I looked at the NJ Transport website and the cost of the train from the airport to Penn St is currently $12.50pp and it takes only about 23 mins. Does anyone know what the cost of a taxi would be and how long would the journey take in the early afternoon.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,475 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Maybe, but there is definitely an escalator between the lower and upper concourses, it's near the LIRR tracks. If you'd followed the LIRR signs you would have found it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Re Car Service: Using more popular car service (Dial 7, Allstate, Carmel) is posted as apx. $57 (plus tip); rush hour +5. This is probably the best, most convenient. This is not a taxi, it is a private service but probably less expensive than a New Jersey taxi into NY.

There are also regular (every 15 or so) express bus service into NYC. Its pretty good, and $16 (per person) (discount for seniors and under 16)

www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

I personally thing the train option is a hassle. You have to take the monorail to the train, and them wait for any scheduled train to NYC. It may be a bit less expensive than the train, yes, but I don't like to walk along with luggage, go up and down stairs, make connections, etc. But I know that doesn't matter to many other people.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

I know my last comment is confusing, but I am more or less recommending the Coach USA/Olympic Newark Airport - Midtown Manhattan Express bus, every 15 min. and $16. I am surprised that the bus is rarely recommended here as I prefer it. Its convenient and direct - you get it on the side of the terminal on the bus island. The only problem with the bus is that it can get stuck in traffic during rush hour, but at many times there is not much traffic.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

It is good to know about the bus option. The drop off points are not as close to our hotel as Penn station, but nice to know of other options.

I had no idea getting out of Penn station could be so difficult! LOL! No wonder I'm already having stress dreams about this trip. It is going to be obvious to me how to get out of Penn station and onto W 33rd st?

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Hi, some great advice here.

I am doing the Penn Station to Newark Aiport trip tomorrow morning. My flight leaves at 7.47 and the first train departs as 5.14, which according to the schedule will get me to Terminal C at 5.57.

I am flying to Roatan, Honduras with a change in Houston , can anyone tell me if this isi considered a domestic or international flight for check in purposes? If it is an international flights is 1hr50mins enough time?

Thanks

Kevin

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

United Airlines has a huge operation at Newark Airport so you really don't need to get there super far in advance. Your first flight is domestic so they're not even going to have an agent at the gate more than an hour in advance.

I like to print my boarding pass out the night before so I'm "checked-in"

Just make sure you are checked-in (even if just using the kiosk) by 1 hour before the scheduled departure of the Newark to Houston flight. Your passport may not be checked until you reach Houston unless you're checking a bag (in which case they're going to make sure you're good to go before your bag gets checked through).

Brenda - This person had difficulty finding the escalators. Of course the exits are extremely well-marked but there may not be signs specifically telling you where escalators are. Nobody has ever struggled to find their way out of Penn Station. I've never come across somebody so stressed about Penn Station as you are. You are going to see uniformed people all over the place. This is one of the world's busiest train stations (if not the world's #1 busiest train station) - there are tons of ways out - there must be tons of ways out as they need to keep millions of people moving at rush hour. You're not going to find yourself stuck in Penn Station confused how to get out. You can ask any of the uniformed people to point you to the exit you want.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
47. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

thanks

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Thanks for the help, but really, you've never seen anyone more stressed than me? I'll be travelling alone with a child after midnight. I think I have a right to be a bit concerned that we don't wander around NYC in the dark walking extra blocks for no reason. :)

"There are escalators to the street at 31st St / 8th Ave, at 33rd St. / 8th Ave, at 7th Ave. at 31st, 32nd and 34th." This is why I'm concerned. Penn station is like an entire block. I want to come out on the right side. Will it be 31st, 33rd, 8th or 7th, 34th? *smile* When I read about people not even being able to find an escalator, it sounds confusing. If it's designed well, like most airports, with signs, then I'm sure we'll be fine. We've never been in a train station so it will be an adventure for sure.

Mentioned in this post
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

The issue they had was that they couldn't find an escalator where they were. I am familiar with where they were. There isn't an escalator there. You don't have the same urgent need for an escalator so you simply would have walked up the stairs.

Unlike an airport, you're going to find more uniformed people (police, railroad workers, maintenance workers, etc.) at your disposal than you know what to make of. Simply say, I'm looking for the exit to ... I've lost track of where you're going ... but its as simply as that.

I realize that in Colorado everybody has a car and if you're out on the streets on your own at 1:00AM in Colorado, its bad news. I get that. I wish I could find a way to put your mind at ease that we're a metro area of almost 15 million people and because driving in NYC isn't really practical for most people, there are lots of gainfully employed, honest, good people heading to / from work and dining out.

I know you envision the streets being limited to only those that are down on their luck or drunk and thrown into the street against their better judgment but truth is that I'd be very surprised if you find anything that makes you less than totally comfortable and at ease. I've been contributing to these forums and reading trip reports for years - I'm not telling you this because I just think you'll be okay, I'm telling you this because years of experience on tripadvisor and living in this town and doing these same things myself reinforce this for me.

You're going to give yourself more stress than the cost savings is worth. If you're really this stressed, why not splurge and get a sedan. I think the train is safer than a sedan but if you think public transport is dangerous and are going to worry yourself sick, its just not worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Train versus taxi from Newark Airport

Thanks I do appreciate your assurance. I honestly don't think a town car is safer for many reasons. Just want to make sure I know where I'm going as it will be late and we'll be weary travelers. I guess midnight might not be that late in NYC. :)

Mentioned in this post