We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empire State Building

Chester
Level Contributor
209 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Empire State Building

Empire State Building - $25 for 86th floor - $40 for observatory floor.

Question will 86th floor be OK, does anyone have any discounted sights?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Empire State Building

The 102nd floor is enclosed and the view is about the same. It is less much less crowded, but personally, I prefer the outdoor 86th floor. If you purchase tickets for the 102nd, it *does not* prevent you from also going to the 86th.

The 86th floor alone is what most people do and it suits them just fine!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Empire State Building

There are so many threads asking the same question Dorey. They all say its not worth paying extra to go above the 86th floor. I would do a quick search & read previous threads before deciding whether its worth the extra money.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Empire State Building

Went there today. Man oh man what lines. Bring a book. M

Chester
Level Contributor
209 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Empire State Building

Thank you for your responses, as usuay after consulting this forum I have made my decision. Have a great weekend.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Empire State Building

Folks, Watfordsouth Mentioned long lines at empire state building, would it be wise to pre book/purchase tickets online , is there a separate queue for pre paid? Coming Over in may for the first time and don't want to spend hours queuing to go up the ESB....... Same question re Top of the rock.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Empire State Building

i booked our empire tickets yesterday (also going in May) and bought the express tickets for both levels. i still have sticker shock but its our first (and most probably only) trip to NY so bit the bullet and paid the $$$

Jersey
Level Contributor
280 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Empire State Building

we have just returned from NYC and my advice is if you buy a NYC City pass go to the attractions early or for the landmark buildings go late at night, that's what we done and never had any wait times at any of the main attractions. I personally wouldn't pay the extra $ for the higher level as the view is not much different. We done the Empire State and the Rockefeller in the same day ESB in the morning and Rockefeller late at night no wait times and amazing views on a clear day.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Empire State Building

Going late at night when all the families have tucked their children away is the best advice---- Getting the NY PAss is bad advice. If you go in a busy time the express pass will help but not eliminate all the waiting.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Empire State Building

If you pre-purchase your ticket, you skip the ticket line and go straight to the security line. Unless you pay for the 'premium, skip to the front" tickets, there is no way to avoid the security line and the elevator line. But as others have said, early and late are the best times for finding short lines ....

The tickets for the ESB are not set for a specific date and time, so buy them before you leave, print them out, bring them with you, and use them at any time during your visit.

Edited: 07 April 2012, 13:37
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Empire State Building

Is it possible to get into the ESB by making an appointment in an office of a private company, for example an airline, then catch an elevator to the top?

Edited: 07 April 2012, 13:42