We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transfers to/from JFK - Downtown & Murray Hill

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
595 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Transfers to/from JFK - Downtown & Murray Hill

Would be grateful for step by step instructions on getting air train, subways etc from JFK to Marriott Downtown in Financial District on a Saturday evening and then return journey from Shelburne (Murray Hill) to JFK on St Stephens Day.

We will have couple of suitcases but wanted to use subways etc rather than taxi to save some money.

Thanks in advance

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transfers to/from JFK - Downtown & Murray Hill

St Stephens day?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,436 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transfers to/from JFK - Downtown & Murray Hill

I think it's Boxing Day, which is not a holiday in the U.S. in any event.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
595 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transfers to/from JFK - Downtown & Murray Hill

The return transfer is from Affinia Shelburne (Murray Hill) on Boxing Day - 26 December to JFK.

Edited: 08 April 2012, 16:14
New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transfers to/from JFK - Downtown & Murray Hill

Considering it is on the liturgical calendars observed by millions of US Christians, whereas no one in the US observes "Boxing Day", it makes far more sense to me to refer to December 26 as "St Stephen's Day". (But heck, I think of December 28 as "Childermas", or Holy Innocents, so what can I tell you...)

Although the usual advice is that if you are downtown, you want the A over the E, in your case I will give directions from the E because of the layout of the station at World Trade Center/ Chambers Street,a nd the greater frequency of the E:

To quote regular contributor MoreFFmiles, who gives the most complete answer when this question is asked:

"The JFK AirTrain operates very frequently and it stops at each terminal. The system is very modern and user-friendly. It is actually quite pleasant and scenic as it is elevated and you can see all the activity at one of the world's busiest international airports.

There are digital displays and audible announcements clearly indicating what train is approaching. Simply take a Jamaica train. Take the JFK AirTrain to the last stop in Jamaica (usually about ten minutes). There are uniformed people to help at Jamaica but all you need to do is buy yourself a $5.00 JFK AirTrain farecard to exit the system at Jamaica.

Simply follow the big signs for the subway. You'll be following the signs for the big bold blue emblem with the letter E in the center as you need the E train. It is well marked and there will be MTA cops with their dogs. You can begin your 7 day unlimited ride ($29.00) MetroCard at the subway station in Jamaica (assuming you are buying an unlimited ride card)."

Take the E train towards Manhattan to the last stop, which is World Trade Center. Exit near the front of the train, and you will come to the street on Church Street near Vese Street. Keeping the World Trade Center site to your right, and St. Paul's Churchyard and Centruy 21 to your left, walk south on Church Street to Thames Street (just past Zuccotti Park) and go right one block to Greenwich Street. At Greenwich go left one block to Albany, and then right one block on Albany to West Street. The hotel is at West and Albany.

From the Shelbrune, walk north on Lexington Avenue to Grand Central Terminal. Take the #6 train one stop uptown to 51st Street. Change there for the E heading towards Queens, and get off at Sutphin Boulevard.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
595 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Transfers to/from JFK - Downtown & Murray Hill

In respect of return journey what happens when I reach Sutphin Boulevard?

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
595 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Transfers to/from JFK - Downtown & Murray Hill

We are going on a cruise day after we arrive so am I correct in thinking that I purchase the $5 air train fare on exit from the air train when it arrives at Jamaica? I don't want to buy the unlimited 7 day metro card covering sub way due to my 7 day cruise so where do I purchase the one way sub way fare for the E Train which will take us to our hotel near World Trade Center?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Transfers to/from JFK - Downtown & Murray Hill

What happens when you get off at Sutphin Boulevard/JFK Airport, which is the same station where you boarded the E train after getting off the AirTrain on the way in (as you saw when you looked at a subway map, which is no doubt the first thing that you did even before you asked your first question)?

Golly, I don't know; that's up to you. Here, however, are two suggestions:

1) unpack your bags and move in, and spend the rest of your lives living in a subway station in New York,

or

2) maybe you can follow the signs to the AirTrain as you had originally planned, and you can board it to go back to the airport to go home.

You also don't want a one-way subway fare as it will waste money because single ride cards cost more, you will at least need another fare to return on your last day in town, and you will probably use the subway at other times as well. In that case, you get a pay-per-ride MetroCard from the same machine that sells unlimited-ride MetroCards.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
595 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Transfers to/from JFK - Downtown & Murray Hill

The Irish tend to be friendly and helpful. We aren't sarcastic to visiting tourists who obviously don't know the area. Golly, here's some advice for `GreenWhiteBlue' - learn some manners!

Edited: 08 April 2012, 21:14
New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Transfers to/from JFK - Downtown & Murray Hill

Dolly, I go out of my way to take the time to give you explicit directions going and coming. You did not say "thank you" even once, and instead indicated by your repeated questions that you had not done even a minimum of research on your own, but expected everyone else to do every bit of thinking for you. Now, because you wish to be thin skinned and devoid of any sense of humor, you pat yourself on your back about your national superiority (and sorry, honey, but all the blood in my veins originates in Ireland; I KNOW what our people are really like!) and presume to lecture me about manners.

Thanks for the laugh.

Edited: 08 April 2012, 21:37
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Transfers to/from JFK - Downtown & Murray Hill

This is all fairly easy and there are uniformed people all along the way who can answer questions and give directions.

The JFK AirTrain (Jamaica branch) connects all the terminals with the Sutphin / Archer / LIRR Jamaica station (different from another subway station called Jamaica Center)

Just like you connect from the JFK AirTrain to the E train, you connect from the E train to the JFK AirTrain. It is all extremely well-marked. The LIRR always has uniformed MTA Police at Jamaica (they usually have big dogs with them - eyes closed but noses sniffing for suspicious stuff nonetheless). The officers can answer any questions you may have.

Single ride MetroCards are $2.50 but the reason we tell you to purchase at least a $4.50 MetroCard is that it is a better value. The cost to ride the subway is $2.25 but if all you want is a single ride, it is $2.50 - your choice.