We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yikes!! Don't know where to begin for 3 nights to see NYC

in canada
Level Contributor
425 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Yikes!! Don't know where to begin for 3 nights to see NYC

Hi, we plan on driving to NYC or one of the surrounding areas with our adult kids for a 3 night quick trip. We are looking for a hotel that is under 200$ and where we can have free parking. We are expecting to be there late April

We don't even know where to begin looking..lol..We do know we need to be close to a shuttle system to get us to Manhattan to look at the sites like museums, WTC and a bus tour.

Can anyone suggest areas to look for hotels or hotels to suggest?

We will all be in the same room so need two beds...having a hard time with this.

Thanks again

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yikes!! Don't know where to begin for 3 nights to see NYC

Your EXACT dates and number of people needed are necessary in order to get hotel recomendations. There is one hotel I've heard of in Manhattan that has free (or close to it) parking. I believe it is the Travel Inn so you might want to start by looking at those rates and reviews.

"..We do know we need to be close to a shuttle system to get us to Manhattan to look at the sites like museums, WTC and a bus tour."

There is the subway system you can use.

To get started, you should write down what you want to see and then group those sites together by locaiton to make best use of your time.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yikes!! Don't know where to begin for 3 nights to see NYC

1windy1, NYC is a LOT like Toronto. It's just a bigger, denser version of NYC, like Toronto on steroids.

As was said, you don't need to drive here or get a shuttle service to explore. You don't need a car at all. Just take the subway (or our buses). Our subway is safe and runs 24-7-365. If need be, take a taxi from place to place.

In the right margin of this forum is a list of TOP QUESTIONS ABOUT NEW YORK CITY. Very helpful pages about how to use the subway, what to see for a first-timer, etc. Check them out!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,826 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yikes!! Don't know where to begin for 3 nights to see NYC

I believe that the only hotel with free parking in Manhattan is the Travel Inn.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yikes!! Don't know where to begin for 3 nights to see NYC

Under $200/night including parking for a room for 4 people with 2 beds is going to be a challenge in any location near enough to Manhattan to have a subway. The further away from Manhattan you get, the better the chances BUT then you're talking about spending more for a commuter train. For example, Tarrytown, NY is a lovely spot due north of Manhattan and there's easy Metro North train service into Manhattan and a number of hotels there. It looks like you can get a room with 2 double beds there for $140-170/night plus tax and free parking but I don't know what Metro North commution will add to your expenses.

Here's the section for Tarrytown hotels

tripadvisor.com/SmartDeals-g48720-Tarrytown_…

Here's the website for Metro North train info

http://www.mta.info/mnr/

Here's a trip report from Suefee who stayed in Tarrytown with thoughts on pros and cons

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1551369…

There are hotels in Long Island City that are near a subway station, but the best ones don't guarantee free parking since they don't have enough spots for all their guests. Jersey City is another popular near Manhattan location to stay but most of those hotels charge for parking and will be over your budget.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i25165-Cheaper_…

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yikes!! Don't know where to begin for 3 nights to see NYC

And the Skyline has cheap parking (like $10 or $15 per day.) Some of the hoels in Queens (including a few of the conveniently-located Long Island City hotels) have very limited free parking for guests.

in canada
Level Contributor
425 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yikes!! Don't know where to begin for 3 nights to see NYC

Wow thanks for the quick responses and helpfull ones at that.

I had thought that Jersey City would be the easiest for us coming from Canada and parking there, but I do understand the commute being involved will be time consuming.

If we stayed In Jersey City, the very few hotels I have come up with that accomodate 4 at our budget are Comfort Inn Edgewater and Ramada Inn . How do we get to Manhattan from these areas..As i see Tunnels?

One day we want to tour the sites in Manhattan and the other day we would like to do Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty which I think would be more conveniet from Jersey??

/queensboulevard,,I can invision Toronto on steroids..lol..little scary..lol

vjpblovesitaly there are 4 adults and we are expecting to be there April 28th to May 1st...

thanks nywhiz I am about to read those reviews

/GreenWhiteBlue I had not thought about Long Island at all, but will look at hotels there as well..

Great advice..wish we had more time.

If we look at Priceline and put a price in for New Jersey, should we be looking for Jersey City for convenience to subways and / or do any hotels shuttle guests in? Have not seen anything like that though we have heard alot of canadians come on bus trips to a hotel in JC but not sure which one..and they get shuttles in..

Oh if it were only that easy..lol

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yikes!! Don't know where to begin for 3 nights to see NYC

"GreenWhiteBlue I had not thought about Long Island at all, but will look at hotels there as well.."

Not Long Island, Long Island City, a neighborhood in the borough of Queens which is part of New York City.

"Comfort Inn Edgewater"

is in Edgewater, not Jersey City.

comfortinn.com/hotel-edgewater-new_jersey-NJ…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yikes!! Don't know where to begin for 3 nights to see NYC

The 2 hotels you listed in "Jersey City" are not in Jersey City at all and aren't near a train. In fact there are some excellent hotels in Jersey City (from which there is an easy commute if you're near a PATH Train) but they're over your budget for those dates or don't have a room for 4 on those dates AND several charge for parking.

The Fairfield Inn in Long Island City has a double double fopr $179/night plus tax. They have limited parking.

in canada
Level Contributor
425 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yikes!! Don't know where to begin for 3 nights to see NYC

So in Edgewater or Long Island City, how would we get into Manhattan to visit museums etc?

Would these areas be a bit too far time wise to get in for the day?

Thanks

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Yikes!! Don't know where to begin for 3 nights to see NYC

"Would these areas be a bit too far time wise to get in for the day?"

If LIC were too far to get "in for the day" GWB would not have suggested it. It is right across the river from Manhattan and some hotels I see mentioned often are close to the subway.