We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Godspell for agnostics?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Godspell for agnostics?

I am interested in seeing Godspell on our next trip (I like the music) but my family is not into religion and I was wondering if it may be a good choice. I am not familiar with Bible stories and don't want to feel preached to. It looks like a fun show with high energy music so I'm a bit torn. Can anyone who has seen the show help me out?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Godspell for agnostics?

I don't believe in God either and that play seems pretty annoying to me.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,266 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Godspell for agnostics?

Interesting perspective! I saw Godspell many moons ago(when it first came out) and never thought about religion . Just thought about the music and performance. I think it is good to see things that are not always the same as ones own ideas.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,234 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Godspell for agnostics?

maybe Jesus Crist Superstar would be more appropriate. I havent seen Godspell since the 70s but I remember being annoyed and bored.

I do everything possible to remove myself from religious situations. My company has a national day of volunteerism - I am happy to volunteer even at faith based organizations, but when they start to pray, I quietly leave the room.

Riff M - I agree in principle with your last sentence but when you have religion in your face all the time, it is nice to have a break from it in entertainment!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,826 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Godspell for agnostics?

I once waited on Jesus.

In the 70's I went to see Godspell. The next day, at my p/t waitressing job, a guy is sitting at one of my tables. I said "excuse me, please forgive the strange question, but are you Jesus?" he was so excited, he said NO ONE ever recognized him outside his role.

I think there are lots of plays that are fun with high energy music, why pick one you might find off-putting?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Godspell for agnostics?

Would you consider splitting up, you go see Godspell while the rest of your party sees another show?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,234 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Godspell for agnostics?

Warmwinds - that is hysterical! And, great advice.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Godspell for agnostics?

I'm thinking of Godspell because we've seen a lot of the more popular musicals already and I was looking for something new. That is a good idea to split up - during our last visit my husband and myself went to Book of Mormon while my daughters saw Wicked.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,068 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Godspell for agnostics?

I have to disagree with everyone -- and I'm a pretty hard core atheist.

It has gotten generally pretty good reviews www.didhelikeit.com/shows/godspell.html and I think your family will do fine with it as long as they know ahead of time what they're going to see. I would give them the Wall Street Journal's review ahead of time http://tinyurl.com/6w6ysnw and let them decide. Personally, and I've been an atheist since I was 12, I would see it based on what I've read and the only reason I haven't gotten tickets is because there are so many other things to see. As I understand the show, and again, I have not seen it, is that one would only see it as "in your face" if one chose to see it that way. If I can listen to Bach's Messiah without being insulted I could certainly do this.

You might want to balance it out by going to see Freud's Last Session which is not a musical but is a LOT of fun and deals with the topic of whether there is a God (it won't change your mind but you will enjoy it -- I guarantee it) http://freudslastsession.com/. I realize that this does not sound like a fun show but really it is, there's a lot of humor and good warmth in it.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 21:34
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,266 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Godspell for agnostics?

I understand evening! When I was working there was one co-worker of mine who insisted on trying to convert me at every turn!!

I finally told him he was being disrespectful of me and he stopped(sort of)

I have been out of that environment for a while now so didn't think of it until you mentioned your work.

I agree that with all the theater possibilities in NYC I'd just pick one that really excites you instead of one you are not sure about!!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,068 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Godspell for agnostics?

Handel's Messiah. Not Bach's Messiah. God forgive me!