We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After 9/11 Memorial access to Brooklyn?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
After 9/11 Memorial access to Brooklyn?

Am starting to work out itenary for our 6 days in September.

On one of the mornings we plan to visit the USS Intrepid Museum ,then in the afternoon catch the NY Water Taxi down to Battery Park to visit 9/11 Memorial.Can buy the entrance ticket to Intrepid, 9/11 ticket and water taxi fare as a package.

Apparently it is then a small walk from Slip 6,Battery Park to the Memorial.

We then would like to go across to Brooklyn so we can walk the Bridge back to Manhattan. My question is: which is the best way to get across to Brooklyn from the Memorial? Subway, which line? bus?or back on the water taxi?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After 9/11 Memorial access to Brooklyn?

I'm sure you'll get better replies once the experts step in. But here's a link to an FAQ post regarding the Brooklyn bridge that I've found useful in planning my upcoming trip.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k866178-…

Boston
Level Contributor
24,555 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After 9/11 Memorial access to Brooklyn?

Im no expert but I believe the A and C lines from the Financial District will get you to High Street stop in Brooklyn.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After 9/11 Memorial access to Brooklyn?

Dice Man is correct from Chambers street take the A or C line downtown to High Street in Brooklyn--- when you get there you should plan on exploring the neighborhood a little (Brooklyn Heights) by walking towards the water to the Brooklyn Promenade (just a few blocks) then when done cut through the park across the street from the subway stop you arrived at and go to the left and about 100 yards down the street (Cadman Plaza East ?) you will see a set of stairs leading to the bridge--- it all depends on how much time you want to spend in Brooklyn.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After 9/11 Memorial access to Brooklyn?

When you leave the Memorial, head inland (east) and turn left on Trinity Place/Church Street (the name changes after a block or two). The entrance to the A/C stop will be about 3 blocks after you pass the Trade Center site).

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,780 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After 9/11 Memorial access to Brooklyn?

If you decide to walk to the Promenade in Brooklyn (following GWB's directions on the website you've already been given), then you may prefer to take the 2,3 to Clark Street rather than the A,C.

Following the directions you've been given for getting to the A,C, that same entrance will also provide access to the Park Place station of the 2,3. So you could take any Brooklyn-bound train at that station to Clark Street and walk down to the Promenade, which is certainly worth doing.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After 9/11 Memorial access to Brooklyn?

Note that the 9/11 Memorial is free, so you do not need to purchase anything to visit. However you do need to make a timed reservation to visit (and that is the only purpose of the "ticket").

Have said that, on our last trip to NYC we purchased the combo HOHO/911 pass from New York Water Taxi, which might work for you. You pick up the HOHO ticket from the NYWT office on Pier 84, which is right next to the Intrepid Museum. You could visit the museum, take the Water Taxi to Battery Park (check the NYWT website, as Slip 6 has been closed recently due to construction), visit the 9/11 Memorial, walk over to South St Seaport, and then take hop back on the Water Taxi to Fulton Ferry Landing on the Brooklyn side. From there you could toodle around a bit and then walk the Bridge back to Manhattan.

We did not visit the Intrepid Museum so I have no idea how long that might take, so you would need to be careful about timing. On our trip we had plenty of time to walk around South St Seaport and also had a leisurely lunch at River Cafe, so I think there should be plenty of time for a museum tour if you wanted to start with that.

-JimG

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After 9/11 Memorial access to Brooklyn?

Thank you all for the suggestions. Might be better to use the water taxi again to get across to Brooklyn if we have the HOHO pass.

8. Re: After 9/11 Memorial access to Brooklyn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:17