We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel times and modes from airports

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
144 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
travel times and modes from airports

we will be coming to new York May 18th arriving at JFK air port at 9:30am. We need to be at 103 5th Ave. For noon. Can you tell me how long it will take to travel there? Also we are not familiar with traveling by train or subway... should we take taxi and any idea of how much?

We will be heading back on Sunday May 20th for a flight out of LGA at 5:30pm – any suggestions about what time to leave the city to be at the airport for 3:30pm?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: travel times and modes from airports

YES - around $60.00 US incl. tip......

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel times and modes from airports

What are you doing at 105 Fifth ave.? i hope you haven't rented what's likely to be an illegal apt. there. Look at the second bullet on the right column of this page under top questions.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel times and modes from airports

You're going straight to Barnes & Noble? That's a bookstore, not a hotel.

If you arrive at 9:30am, it'll take about 30 mins to pick up checked luggage etc, and then about an hour to get through to Manhattan. There may be another Barnes & Noble that is nearer, if you really want to go book shopping though.

M

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
144 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel times and modes from airports

Hi Everyone Thank you for your concerns - We are actually seeing a Doctor which is why we are coming to New york. We will be staying at Club Quarters wall st – 52 William st ... we wanted something nice yet cost was a factor so got this on Hot wire. I don't want to spend all of my money on travel to hotel and appointment but it seems from your posts that a taxi to appointment and then to hotel is probably the best way since we have luggage and no stops close.

It also sounds like we will arrive in just enough time to make it to our appointment. I considered only a carry on to save time but it sounds like we have ample time.

Also any suggestions about Sunday travel - traffic etc... our flight leaves LGA at 5:30 (different airport flying home)

Thanks

Laur

new york
Level Contributor
301 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel times and modes from airports

how many people are there in the group? its cheaper of course to take the subway but if you have a couple of people it will most defnitely make more sense to take a prearranged car service, or some sort of fixed rate service.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
144 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel times and modes from airports

There are just 2 of us.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel times and modes from airports

I'd just get the subway, it is quicker, cheaper, and so if cost is an issue, then you're much better off spending $14.50 (for 2 people using AirTrain and Subway), than $60.

Timewise, it'll still take around 1 hour.

M

new york
Level Contributor
301 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel times and modes from airports

if cost isnt too much of an issue ...and since you arent sure about the train systems, i'd suggest taking the cabs. or a car service from the airport with a TLC license since the prices are fixed. its for the comfort of you two travelers. if you two are adventurous and dont mind searching your way and perhaps getting lost on the train, you can just ask. new yorkers are generally friendly and offering to help you find your way.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
375 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel times and modes from airports

LGA is much closer than JFK and I think you can leave 45 minutes for the trip from midtown and there will be a comfortable margin.

For JFK, if you have only carry-on luggage, then it is worthwhile to figure out how to do the airtran thing. I have never done it because I am always travelling with kids and lots of suitcases, but it is worth figuring out. And if you take a taxi, even though it is a flat fee you will still have to tip on top of it.To go to LGA you should definitely plan on taking a taxi.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel times and modes from airports

Prices are fixed for taxis from JFK into Manhattan, but not for car services. Competition does keep the car service charges pretty close to taxi fares though.