We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from LaGuardia question

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from LaGuardia question

We'll be arriving late-night (11:38 p.m. arrival time into LaGuardia) and was wondering if the lateness of the hour would affect the price or number of services available? Which is our best option: taxi or hired car (fixed price)?

There is a Groupon for Oxygen Car & Limo for $29 to Manhattan (we're staying on Houston St.), and the deal claims that this is normally over a $59 value. Is this a decent price? I did do research online and found that most taxis will run about this price. But I'm worried about the lateness of the hour. Am I'm just being weird, since this is the City That Never Sleeps? We do sleep down here in the hot, humid South, and a lot of stuff closes late at night.

Anyway, thoughts about transportation? Any input appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia question

never heard of them - there are a LOT of dodgy companies out there

Carmel and dial7 are the ones most recommended on here. I can personally vouch for dial 7.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia question

I did wonder about that. Also, the (retail) price seems a little high, since they are likely going to be cramming us (2 in our party) into the back of a Toyota, not a limo.

new york
Level Contributor
301 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia question

if they are on groupon, i would say its okay because groupon is great with their customer service in the case that it doesnt work out or that they wont honor your voucher from groupon.

i believe $59 is an excellent price, just call the company ahead of time (like now perhaps?) and ask questions as if you already bought the groupon.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,769 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia question

$59 is double what that ride should cost, so you're not saving any money over using a taxi with the coupon. A taxi will also cost just about $29, probably less, and you won't have to pay in advance, and you won't have to worry about whether they actually show up. At that hour, I would just take a taxi - there will be plenty at the airport, and there will be little traffic, making a car service less of a bargain, and probably slower, since you'll have to find yours when you arrive at the airport. You'll be able to just get into a yellow taxi at the dispatcher line.

new york
Level Contributor
301 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia question

$29 is just unheard of

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,769 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia question

No, $29 is the metered fare between LGA and Houston Street. Actually, it's closer to $27. $59 is more than it costs to get me home to middle Brooklyn from LGA, so I'm not sure why you think that's a reasonable fare to lower Manhattan.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia question

At first I thought it was a guaranteed ride in a limo, but that's just part of their fleet. Who knows what vehicle they will actually use to pick you up?

I think a taxi will be fine. Last time, a similar ride cost close to $40, but it was due to horrible traffic. The lateness of the hour should make it cheaper. Thank you for your input.

8. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 16:16