We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway in a wheelchair

Long Island
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Subway in a wheelchair

Hi. I have to get to Lexington & 87th, but I'm in a wheelchair and my starting point is Penn Station. Is it possible to get there via the subway, and if so, how?

Thanks.

Bruce

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway in a wheelchair

It's probably possible, but i'd use buses (they're all kneeling buses) or a taxi if your chair folds easily and you have someone with you who can help. You might also check into the disability program run by

Bigapplegreeter.org

They might be able to suggest a van co.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway in a wheelchair

No, it is not possible. While both the Seventh (1,2,3) and Eighth (A,C, E) Avenue stops at Pennsylvania Station are wheelchair accessible, the 86th Street stop on the Lexington Avenue line (for the 4, 5, and 6 trains) is not. You can arrive on the platform, but there will be no way for you to get to the street from there. On the other hand, you can take a taxi; taxis may not refuse a wheelchair. You may also take a bus -- all buses have wheelchair lifts.

new york
Level Contributor
301 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway in a wheelchair

you can check the subway maps on mta.info to see which stations are equipped with elevators for your best access. i believe they added many elevators recently but usually to the main stations. just click on the stations on the map and it will tell you whether they are properly equipped and then you can figure your way around.

http://mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Long Island
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway in a wheelchair

Hey, thanks. I kind of thought that route wouldn't be accessible, but I figured it was worth asking. I was just hoping for something quicker than the bus system, as that's what I use every time when I'm in the city.

Thanks again.

Bruce

NY, NY
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway in a wheelchair

Yes, but if the above posters are correct and the seventh and eighth avenue subway lines are wheelchair accessible, you can take the subway to 86th street and then take the bus across to lexington. the crosstown bus doesn't take very long once it comes

Long Island
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway in a wheelchair

Hey thanks. The only thing though is that according to the MTA subway map, it doesn't appear to be accessible at 86th Street.

Thanks.

Bruce

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway in a wheelchair

Nobody said that the Seventh and Eighth Avenue lines are accessible -- and for the most part they are not.

bhomis, the better place to check to see if a station is accessible or not is not, in fact, the map, but is instead the list of "accessible stations" on the MTA website. Look here:

www.mta.info/accessibility/stations.htm

NY, NY
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway in a wheelchair

Wow, it is completely ridiculous this should be so difficult in a wheelchair. You could take the subway to 96th, take the bus across the park and go down 10 blocks on Lexington to 86th. The blocks are not that long up there. But I am sorry this is so difficult to do.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway in a wheelchair

I agree with jkl in that the situation is unfortunate, but some of these stations are over 100 years old and just weren't built to be accessible. There's always a way to get around in the city, though. :)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,825 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway in a wheelchair

Unfortunately, when you have a 100+ year old subway system, it's incredibly difficult and expensive to retrofit stations. All subways themselves are wheelchair accessible, it's just the stations, and it's not "ridiculous" that it's difficult to put elevators in to underground systems like ours. Platforms are narrow, and held up by support pillars that aren't easily moved. Stairs are plentiful. It's complicated.

What IS ridiculous is that we have such a terrible time getting cabs to be wheelchair accessible, but that's another issue entirely. There is a city-wide public transportation system that IS wheelchair accessible, that works reliably and efficiently. It's the bus system.