We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel

dublin
Level Contributor
55 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel

I am travelling to NYC alone and looking at the cheapest transport options for me would be a shared shuttle.

As i am travelling alone I would like a reliable service and have been looking at Super Shuttle, Go Airlink etc and while their websites and prices are good the reviews are not great.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend which shuttle service is the most reliable etc.

Thanks

61 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel

I think the Airtrain to subway would be a cheapter option. The shuttles in the NYC area get bad reviews

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s301/New-York-…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel

no no no! the shuttles are NOT a good choice.

Your best bet is either public transport, taxi or car service

Where exactly are you going?

new york
Level Contributor
301 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel

if you are familiar with groupons, i saw this today so you are in luck:

www.groupon.com/deals/oxygen-transportation…

the shuttles are NOT BAD because sometimes they are the most convenient to take you to and fro your locations.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel

you are best to stick with a tried and trusted car service if thats the way you want to go such as dial7 or carmel or strussers if you want a limo

I have to disagree with sasli about the shuttles - sasli is the only poster on the board to recommend them

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,389 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel

The shuttles are all unreliable, and they're almost always more expensive than public transportation, while being slower, less comfortable, and less reliable. I would definitely not go with a random company just because it's cheap or has a coupon. If you tell us which hotel you're staying at, we can let you know the easiest/cheapest/fastest way to get there on public transit.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel

Sasli also plugs illegal cabs. Please do not take advice from this poster.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5292558…

dublin
Level Contributor
55 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel

I am staying at The Gershwin Hotel on East 27th Street

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel

Get the AirTrain to Jamaica, then from there, take the E to Forest Hills, change at Forest Hills to the R train and then get off at 28th Street Station.

Walk out of the station, and walk 2 blocks to your hotel.

This will take just over an hour, and cost you a total of $7.25. How a shared shuttle that can take up to 1 hour to leave the airport before traversing every other hotel in NYC, and have a cost of around $20 upwards, is better than this, is beyond me.

M

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,729 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel

There's a possibility your trip might be a bit faster if you follow M4RKM's route but change from the E to the R at Queens Plaza. It would be the same cross-platform change. The E runs express from Forest Hills to Queens Plaza while the R runs local. You might get lucky and catch an R that the E passed along the way. If not, you haven't lost any time.

If you happen to be doing this in the morning rush hour, then you may want to switch at Forest Hills. That would be the first stop on the R so you'd have a better chance of getting a seat.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel

I knew I'd chosen the wrong subway station, and couldn't remember. Thanks Auden for the correction!!!

Reply to: Transportation From JFK to Manhattan Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted