We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother-Daughter Surprise Birthday Trip 4/9 - 4/12

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Mother-Daughter Surprise Birthday Trip 4/9 - 4/12

I surprised my daughter on her 17th birthday, telling her we were heading to NYC in 3 days. She was ecstatic!! We landed at LGA at 7:15AM, about 20 minutes early, made the call to Dial 7 and they were right outside the door in 5 minutes as promised. 5 Minutes! Very nice driver took us to Crowne Plaza Times Square. $29, plus tip (no tolls...he took Queensboro Bridge) We stored our luggage and headed outside. Beautiful morning, we stumbled upon the Good Morning America show wrapping up their show...got pictures of Robin Roberts, George Stephenopoulas, Sam Champion (I think is his name)...and some other guy...forgot his.I was excited to see them...thats a nice, fun way to start your NYC trip I though! ;) I had planned on taking my daughter...who loves anything "theatre"...to Ellens Stardust Diner. So...a couple of blocks up the street from the hotel, there it was. Loved the place! We got seated right away, pancakes and omelets...and coffee!! The servers/performers are very good singers. What fun!! AND....we ran into my daughters tennis coach there!! Couldn't believe it!! After breakfast, we headed up toward Central Park. WInd was really picking up...and literally pushed us northward. We made a stop at Columbus Circle area. Going into the Time Warner Bldg, then over to Lincoln Center. Rested by the large fountain, took lots of pictures...then headed to the park. Walked around, bought some T-shirts in the 'Dairy Center' (visitors center)...walked to the mall area, sat and listened to musicians, then walked down to the lake and watched the boaters. Gorgeous day...but windy! Then headed back to the hotel to check in by way of The Plaza Hotel, (lovely inside), FAO Schwarz, (saw the 'piano', no big deal)..and into Trump Tower lobby. Nice! Got to our hotel, up to nice and large King bed corner room on the 33rd floor. Really,, nice size for the two of us. Decent view of 48th St. all the way to the East River from the window. Hudson River view from the hallway window. Very convenient location! We took a long nap, as we had been up since 3:30 AM. Then headed out to dinner, didn't know where we were going, but I knew to head toward 8th and 9th Aves..heard thats a good location for resturants. Well, we stopped in Five Napkin Burgers. It was on my map, I had heard it was good...we were starving...so that was our choice. Good one too!! THE best hamburger I have ever had. Daughter had the buffalo chicken sandwich and declared it the best as well! We did have a 20 minute wait, but it was worth it. Very good service too. We headed back to Times Square...sat on the red bleachers for a long time, then back to our room. Can't believe we are here!! (My daughter can't either!!)

Day two to come.....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother-Daughter Surprise Birthday Trip 4/9 - 4/12

Great report - what a fun birthday gift.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother-Daughter Surprise Birthday Trip 4/9 - 4/12

Day two...Tuesday. Up late, still recovering from early flight...and all that walking yesterday. We decided to get a cab to Greenwich Village. THE nicest cab driver!! Umar was his name. Dropped us off at Le Pain Quotidien, where we bought pastries and drinks. Walked down to Washington Square Park, sat there a while eating our "breakfast". Walked around GV a bit..it looked like rain, but it never did, thank goodness (the whole time we were there, they called for a shower or two, but we never saw any) Found Broadway so headed north on it. Looked around Union Square Park, then walked into Barnes and Noble, (used their bathroom) kept walking up Broadway. Passed by ABC Carpet, which I had heard about on here....so we went in for a look-see. Wow...I would love to decorate my house from that place....but expensive!! Kept walking knowing the Flatiron Building was up ahead. (hadn't really planned on walking the whole way, but its amazing all the sites and landmarks that are "just ahead") Got some great pictures of the Flatiron Building. Went to Macy's...walked in....and out. Too busy..and hot inside. Got to Bryant Park, how pretty is that! Went into the NY Public Library..impressive! I would love to stay in the Bryant Park Hotel some time...perfect location. Made it back to Times Square. Looks like it was 2.5 miles or so. But we enjoyed it,...saw so much...and the weather turned out great. We did see a bunch of paparazi standing on a corner....we stood there too for a while...waiting. I wanted to ask them who or what they were waiting for..but didn't. (haha..we did take THEIR picture though ) Anyway.....we went into Juniors for dinner. No wait, very nice server. I had the grilled cheese and ham, daughter had the BLT with egg salad. Both very good. But I should have ordered the BLT. Oh well. Got carrot cake cheesecake...and chocolate mousse cheesecake. Wow...yummy!! Made a quick run back into our hotel to freshen up...then off to see 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' What a great, fun, exciting, lively, BRIGHT, foot-tapping, hand-clapping, entertaining show!! We loved it!! A very good, appreciative audience as well. Standing ovation! We slowly made our way across Times Square and thru the crowds back to the hotel.

Day three to come......

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother-Daughter Surprise Birthday Trip 4/9 - 4/12

LOL: "Robin Roberts, George Stephenopoulas, Sam Champion ...and some other guy."

Any recollection who it was?

Both days so far sound fun. Glad your daughter was so thrilled with the surprise! Looking forward to next chapter.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother-Daughter Surprise Birthday Trip 4/9 - 4/12

Hi beachlady!

Glad you're having fun. You have a lucky daughter.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother-Daughter Surprise Birthday Trip 4/9 - 4/12

queens....the other guy thats on GMA..shoot...tall, dark and handsome ;)

Hi shanklemsw! SO much fun!!!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother-Daughter Surprise Birthday Trip 4/9 - 4/12

I love your trip report, your trip and the idea of a mother/daughter trip with a teenage daughter and an adventuresome mom! You sound like me! I can't wait to read the next installment....Moms

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother-Daughter Surprise Birthday Trip 4/9 - 4/12

I think she is referring to Josh Elliott...tall, dark and handsome indeed!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother-Daughter Surprise Birthday Trip 4/9 - 4/12

Day three..Wednesday....Headed out and grabbed some quick breakfast sandwiches..at Pax Wholesome Foods in TS. Sausage, egg biscuits...and a little quiche to share. Sat in the bleachers...ate and watched the Stanley Cup thing that was going on there. No clue who the men were, but I am sure they were famous in the Hockey world. It was cool to see the actual Cup...and that huge replica that stayed in TS for a while. We walked up to Rockefeller Center, watched the people skating, went into the Met. Museum of Art GIft Shop (which at first I thought was the MoMA gift shop) Then we did go to MoMA for a while...saw the Matisse's, Warhols, Picasso's, etc...and a lot of interesting "art" that looked like anyone could do. Sat in the little garden for a while. We went over to Radio City Music Hall for a Back Stage Tour. Very interesting...got a picture with a Rockette. Massive place...good tour guide. We headed down to Grand Central Station, got some pictures, and headed back to TS. Dinner at Chevy's Mexican Resturant. Very good!! I wanted to see what The Muse Hotel looked like, as that was one of my choices for hotels. Didn't care for the street at all, but the lobby was beautiful, and looked like a perfectly good place to stay. I'll keep it on my list for future visits. A quick stop back to the hotel, then off to see The Lion King at the Minskoff Theatre. From the first note (which is thrilling to finally hear in person!!)...to the finale...this show is just amazing!! Words can't describe. A great way to end another great day.

Day four...our last day....to come.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mother-Daughter Surprise Birthday Trip 4/9 - 4/12

Yes,...Josh Elliott! Thanks! And...never would I call myself "adventuresome", just the opposite. This was so out of my comfort zone....doing a trip like this. But...we had gone as a family last year..5 of us. After seeing how easy it is to get around..and how much my daughter loved it....I said 'what the heck'...why not'! So...I started planning this trip back in January or February. Very nervous at first, but the more I planned and thought about it..the more excited I got. So now...yes, maybe I AM adventuresome after all! ;)

Edited: 16 April 2012, 22:06
Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mother-Daughter Surprise Birthday Trip 4/9 - 4/12

Oh..and as we sat on the bleachers in TS that morning...the line of people for tickets at that TKSX (or whatever) booth was insane!! It moved so slow..no way would I waste precious time waiting in line like that. Get there early people! Or buy on-line.