We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York newbie HELP!

Lake Orion, Michigan
Level Contributor
130 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
New York newbie HELP!

I will be parking at the Port Authority, I would like to see the Empire State Building, Ground Zero, eat the best pizza, Chelsea Market, ride a subway, and possibly shopping. Any tips on how I can do all this in a day?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York newbie HELP!

My way is to open google map and plot one place at a time and ask the "directions to" function to tell me how to get to the next place. If you plot each place on a map you will see a pattern emerge.

I end up with a small list of directions and use them to guide me, though I often veer off onto interesting things I find along the way.

If you start early you can certainly do it all in one day.

Lake Orion, Michigan
Level Contributor
130 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York newbie HELP!

Thanks!

New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New York newbie HELP!

9/11 Memorial, not Ground Zero.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
371 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York newbie HELP!

Sounds like after you park you should head downtown to the 9/11 memorial and work your way north. It all sounds very doable.

Lake Orion, Michigan
Level Contributor
130 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York newbie HELP!

Thanks! All good advice!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York newbie HELP!

if you want to see the 9/11 memorial you need to reserve tickets in advance. Why are you parking at Port Authority? You could come into Manhattan downtown theough the Holland Tunnel and be closer to the memorial. You need to look at a map.

Lake Orion, Michigan
Level Contributor
130 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York newbie HELP!

I was parking at the Port Authority because of the others traveling with me but, the plans have changed. Where do you recommend parking near the Holland tunnel?

Florida
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York newbie HELP!

@peppiegal -

I have never been to NYC but I am planning my first trip. I took all of my locations and added them to the maps in my iPhone - that way when I am there I can use the directions feature easily. Maybe you could do the same to help?

Lake Orion, Michigan
Level Contributor
130 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York newbie HELP!

Thanks, I know where everything I want to see is located..I guess I didn't post the question very well. I need to know how to get (least expensive) to what I want to see. Subway? Walk? Cab? Train?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,389 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New York newbie HELP!

Least expensive is to walk, obviously, but least expensive while still being reasonable is to take the subway. Use www.bestparking.com to find a parking lot in lower Manhattan. If you know where everything is, then just make sure you don't backtrack by going in geographic order. If you're coming in at the Holland Tunnel, it probably makes the most sense to start with the 9/11 memorial and work your way north from there, ending at the Empire State Building. If you wanted to hit Century 21 for shopping, I'd do it last when you return to lower Manhattan to pick up the car.