We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

city passes

Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
city passes

i was wondering if there is more than one pass for nyc?

i know of the city pass which always has a 'sale' on.

we are wanting to do sights such as

SOL

ESB

bike rental in central sq

a food on foot tour

and a cruise

we could probably fit a few more in as we are staying for 4 nights.

are they worth it?

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
277 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: city passes

Hi there,

We used Go select that can be found on www.smartdestinations.com and found that it doesnt necessarily save a lot of money but can save time when you get to each place you dont have to line up as much.

Worked well for us.

Cheers

Matty

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: city passes

Not so--- there are very few lines for the things you want to see and in the places you want to see like the SOL the passes actually slow you down because you don't have a timed ticket. For the most part people who buy these don't really understand that there are ways to manage the system without spending a lot of money on things you don't want.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: city passes

bilmin is right. Why spend money on things you don't want. Just get a go select pass that Matty mentioned, because all you do is choose the attractions you want, and get a considerable discount.

M

Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: city passes

thanks very much i'll look into that.xx

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: city passes

Not a fan of the various passes that seek tourists' $$$ in NYC. These are mostly designed for those whose idea of touring is to cram in as many sites as possible in as short a period of time. You end up running a tourist marathon to get the card to "pay off."

The thing is that many of the great things to do in NYC have nothing to do with any card. Walking the Brooklyn Bridge, taking the Staten Island Ferry, a picnic in Central Park, The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens on a Saturday AM, taking a stroll through the West Village. - All Free.

Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: city passes

we were thinking of doing ;

bike tour central park $49

food on foot tour $49

bodies exhibit $30

hop on hop off bus $49

wtc $15

skyline cruise $28

and also the hop on/off bus about $100

looking at the above prices the pass seems worth it, However are the prices inflated or can discounts be found at the locations ect.?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: city passes

We are also debating whether to get a city pass. We are the kind who like to cram a lot in so think it work. The new york city pass seems a good deal, $200 for 3 days including the hop off bus. I like to have things organised beforehand and know what I'm doing so I think it should work. When are you going?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: city passes

The HOHO bus is NOT transportation. $100 seems steep when you're stuck in traffic. Use the Subway or normal buses for $29.

Why Cycle around central park? You see hardly anything because you're stuck on the cycle paths. Walk it, and you see more.

The World Trade Center Memorial is free. you do not need to pay $15 to go and see it.

Bodies Exhibit you can get discount on via broadwaybox - broadwaybox.com/shows/bodies_the_exhibition_… so i've saved you more money there.

When are you planning on visiting New York, or is your plan just to visit New York Tourist Attractions?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: city passes

What sort of things are you hoping to do whilst there? That can help you determine whether the pass is good value. We had one the first time we went to New York, didn't bother the second time and won't the third either. That probably tells you how useful we found it!

We do like the hop in/off buses though. Great for getting your bearings and learning interesting info from the guides, but they're not considered a good form of transport if you're wanting to use them to get from A to B.

I don't think the Central Park cycling tours are very highly thought of. There's loads of food tours available, I'm on my phone at the moment so can't link to any, but sure somebody will recommend a good one.

10. Re: city passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:17