We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pros & Cons of Visiting in Late January

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
168 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Pros & Cons of Visiting in Late January

My lovely husband has decided that for his 40th birthday next year he would like to take a trip to NYC. His birthday is late January.

I'm trying to be objective; so what better place than TripAdvisor to get the opinions of many more knowledgeable than myself.

Please let me know of all the pros and cons of visiting for during this time of year.

Mini-backstory - this would be my first time visiting in nearly 20 years when I was a teenager and the first time my husband will have been to NYC in a 'tourist' capacity. (He's been half-dozen times but each visit was less than 24 hrs because he was a musician on tour)

Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pros & Cons of Visiting in Late January

Biggest pro - good hotel rates.

Biggest con - potential weather issues.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pros & Cons of Visiting in Late January

What numbers says -- add to the hotel rates, easier to get show tickets and restaurant reservations - ice skating.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pros & Cons of Visiting in Late January

You might see a Christmas decoration? Weather? Maybe yes or no, but it will be cold. There could be bad weather but if it snows you could see Central Park in white which is fun. The museums, theaters and places to eat are less crowded.

Bottom line I see no cons expect for the weather. Spending your birthday in New York City will be special to your hubby and you.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pros & Cons of Visiting in Late January

New York is great any time of the year....yes, you might have bad weather, but again you might not....go for it!

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pros & Cons of Visiting in Late January

As the others have said the only con would be the weather which cannot be predicted.

If you decide to visit at that time just come prepared for any kind of winter weather...bring warm coats, hats, gloves, scarves and boots for snow and you should be fine as long as you don't mind cold, snowy weather. But who knows maybe we will have another mild winter and will have none of that, but better safe than sorry.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pros & Cons of Visiting in Late January

The only other problem that ties to weather would be flight delays. So I wouldn't book any shows on the day of your arrival. :o)

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pros & Cons of Visiting in Late January

We go to the NYC boat show every January and usually stay about 3 nites and even though I hate cold weather, we still have a great time. The hotel rates are at their lowest during this time. If you go early enough in January you'll see decorations and the Rock Center Tree as well.

There are so many things for you to see if you haven't been in 20 years, I think you're in for a big treat and once you get there, you won't care so much about the weather........go for it!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pros & Cons of Visiting in Late January

Thank you all your opinions thus far. You've verified my hunch that the weather tends to be more undesirable in late January.

I'll have to point my husband over here and let him make the final decision on when he wants to make the trip, on his actually birthday or postponed slightly for potentially better weather. (Actually right now, April, would probably be my preferred time to go)

Regardless of time of year I'm just excited to be able to go back to NYC after all these years!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pros & Cons of Visiting in Late January

Whenever you decide to visit I hope you both have a wonderful time.

10. Re: Pros & Cons of Visiting in Late January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:18