We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Renaissance Guest House, anyone stayed here?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
New York Renaissance Guest House, anyone stayed here?

Hi everyone,

Me and my boyfriend have booked I stay at this guest house through Laterooms. Its on W141 st. The reviews are generally good but im a little dubious about some of them. I just wondered if anyone had stayed here and could comment on it? I searched the forum posts and the last one relating to this guest house said it was an illegal apartment so I am a little worried now. I see it's on hotels.com and laterooms so I would hope they aren't selling rooms in illegal apartments.

Thanks for your help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Renaissance Guest House, anyone stayed here?

http://hinewyork.org/rooms.shtml

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,141 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Renaissance Guest House, anyone stayed here?

Check out this previous thread on this topic:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4194729…

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Renaissance Guest House, anyone stayed here?

Thanks SueFee, I see the last post says illegal apartment. What does this mean? And how do I confirm that? Thanks.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Renaissance Guest House, anyone stayed here?

its means it rented out by the night which is not permitted and it could be closed down at any time. Look for something legal.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Renaissance Guest House, anyone stayed here?

Thanks for your help. I had no idea, especially because this guest house is on websites like Expedia and late rooms. I take it that doesn't mean anything? We have paid some money for the room, I paid credit card so if I go to my credit card company and explain that this isn't actually legal will I be able to get my money back? I feel pretty stupid now!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Renaissance Guest House, anyone stayed here?

ask the guest house for a refund first - you are right. where its listed is ireelevant.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Renaissance Guest House, anyone stayed here?

141st Street is way out of the areas where most tourists will be spending most of their time and some people may find the neighborhood a bit uncomfortable as it may not be the type of urban environment they're used to.

I'm not saying there is anything bad / wrong with that part of Harlem but I can say that I've been in the neighborhood with people who weren't aware of how culturally diverse it is and seemed caught a bit off-guard.

Bear in mind that just about anybody can list on expedia and laterooms - it doesn't mean they're operating legally. It just means they are advertising.

This sounds like an illegal operation and I'd stay far away from it.

8. Re: New York Renaissance Guest House, anyone stayed here?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:40